Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jun 20, 2004, 4:29 PM   #1

I am having problems getting good shots time after time with my FL 50 working with my E-20 Olympus. I get over exposed or underexposed time after time. I do weddings and need to work on "P" so I am not messing with settings. With the flash on TTL Auto I can stand in the same spot and shoot the same thing and just zoom in or out and get off one end or the other, over or under exposedshots. I need to be able to shoot and know that I am getting the shot time after time. I have to be able to zoom in & out and have the flash work.

Does anyone else have/had that problem. I am ready to go to a Nikon or Cannon SLR system if they have a flash that will be reliable.

1organizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2004, 1:51 PM   #2

I don[t know how well the FL-50 communicates with the E-20, or if the camera fully supports TTL with the flash. I know it worked well with the FL-40 from what I read from other users. I myself had a Metz 54MZ-3 and the SCA-3202 module for Olympus digital cameras (back when I used an E-10), always had great exposure. I no longer have my E-10, but I have a uestion. Are you allowing the flash enough time to recycle its power? Or, which metering mode are you using, spot, center or ESP? If using spot, by the time you focus on your subject and then recompose the exposure will have changed. You have to hold the AEL button to lock the exposure until the shutter is released.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 9:15 PM   #3

As far as I know I have always been set on Digital ESP metering....I am not very "techie"....is this what I should be using with the flash?? If not what do you recomend. I played with this "thing" for about 5 hours Sunday and could not get it to work correctly. I zapped Olympus customer support and they told me to call but I have not had time yet....I will try tomorrow. Any information ANYONE has would be helpful. I was very embarrassed by some portraits I did....the flash did not perform at a distance AT all but did "ok" faily close for some shots but not for all. This is not the way it should be.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 9:33 PM   #4

That sounds like the same problems I encountered when I started using my SB-800 flash. It was giving me inconsistant exposures, sometimes over exposing, and other under exposing. Later it was under exposing ALL the time, so I took it back to Nikon and they fixed it. It could be a problem with the FL-50. Have you tried using any other flash on your E-20?
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:01 PM   #5

No, since I just started shooting where I would need an additional flash and Olympus has discontinued the FL40, which was made for the E-20, I bought a FL50 which was made for the new E-1 BUT I was told it would work "just fine" with the E-20....yea right.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Was the problem in your flash or in your flash working with your camera?? The owners manual for the FL50 does not mention the E-20 at all and the owners manual for the E-20 does not mention the FL50 since it was not developed until later.

The flash will not work in "auto" at all when the camera is in "P" only TTL Auto...

The flash problem you had....was it being used on your E-10 or on a Nikon??
Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:54 AM   #6

Humm, maybe Olympus tech would better answer your question regarding the E-20/FL-50 combo not working properly.

As for my SB-800 problems, the flash was mounted on my current D100. I found some info from Olympus' website that seems to imply the FL-50 should work just fine with the E-20:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...=16&image2.y=6

Have a look at dpreview.com Olympus SLR Forum for some users asking about compatibility between E-10/20 and FL-50.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 1:57 AM   #7

Thanks I will.....at this point I am so frustrated unless the fickled finger of fate dropped out of the sky and zapped the camera and flash I don't know if I would ever trust it again.....OF COURSE the problem could not be the USER : ) I am the type that wants the %*#$ thing to work with no adjustments by or knowledge of the user needed....kind of like a point and shoot!! Thanks for your imput....I'll call Oly tomorrow....sigh. Have a good night!! : )
Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:59 PM   #8

To anyone reading this - BEWARE!! I just got the official word from Olympus that the FL-50 has "limitations" with the E-20. I can use a light meter on every shot but I should not / can not depend on the FL 50 with the E-20. Will kiss my batteries!! Before I bought the flash I called Olympus and checked to see if the FL 50 would work with the E-20. I was not told that it would have "limitations". I called the retailer....they told me the same thing...they probably don't know any different.

As for me and my house......we are changing to the Canon 10D....I would have done that several hundred dollars ago if I had been given all the information up front and honest from Olympus. Why did the discontinue the FL 40 which was made to go with the E-20? Maybe so people would have to upgrade to the E-1? It did not happen with this customer.....goodby Olympus.