Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jul 9, 2004, 7:36 PM   #1

:?are there any external flashes out there for the g5 like vivtar if so what models and makes
bherring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2004, 7:52 PM   #2

If you mean non dedicated flash, may be a sunpak 383 as suggested here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 8:39 PM   #3

kcan

letmeask a stupid question. my g5 don't have for a place to plug cable for flash just my hot shot do i have to get a modle from canon to hook up
Old Jul 9, 2004, 10:00 PM   #4

bherring,
Of course, there are no stupid question, feel cumfortable and free to ask , that's what forum's for. Others will answer my "stupid" questions as well .

Your camera (as other brands camera like Nikon etc… ) use an ISO standard flash , meaning roughly a popular physical specification for the hotshoe (the external flash "foot") design ,. and a standard position of the center contact pin .
The center contact pin is "functionally" equivalent to the PC-sync terminal (which your camera doesn't have).
Beside this center pin, which is always the trigger contact ( the 2 rails serve as the ground ) each manufacturer have their own arrangement / lay out of other contacts (usually smaller) to be use for other purpose (TTL control , flash ready signal, head zoom , autofocus led control , etc …) but these are all proprietary design for each make.

Some exception though: Minolta later hotshoe design for example : they do not have a ISO hotshoe, causing some small headache for users who do not want to buy a Minolta (or designed for Minolta) flash.

The big majority of non dedicated external flash has this ISO standard "foot" or hotshoe design, and they all use this center pin as trigger contact.
(Older film camera sometimes has a hotshoe with no electric contact , and has a PC terminal to connect electrically the flash).

Your case is the simplest : you can buy a "clone" , non-dedicated flash and just put it on the hotshoe. Of course, you can"t have TTL control of the flash (you need a Canon or Canon-dedicated flash for this) , but you can use the flash in manual and auto ("auto-thyristor") modes.

One thing should be verified : the trigger voltage : the max trigger voltage the camera can handle, and the trigger voltage of the flash.
Since the Sunpak 383 has a low trigger voltage , it's safe for for camera.
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Some old flash and real cheap flash have high trigger voltage (about or more than 100 volts) which can make your camera flash circuit to be BBQed :?

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 10:24 AM   #5

Thanks alot kcan lot of info. and i'm use to manul mode i used on a twin len med format camra. you make it comable to ask questions.