Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jul 26, 2004, 11:07 AM   #1
thw

I am trying to choose a reasonable external flash for macro-photography. The models I have in mind are the Vivitar DF200, Phoenix D91-BZS, Phoenix D92-BZS and Sunpak 544. Which one should I go for? Because my digital camera (Canon S1IS) does not have a hot-shoe, I need to be sure that the flash fires every time I hit the shutter. I know that most of these models can recognize the built-in flash or pre-flash (red-eye) signal, I want to be sure that it'll fire every time. Furthermore, I will probably block out the built-in flash (just keeping the pre-flash on) to prevent over-exposure. Any suggestion or help? I really appreciate your advice.
thw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 12:33 PM   #2

FYI, there are also ring flash and ring light made for macro photography:
http://www.srelectronics.com/

Also, did you consider circular fluorescent flight ? very practical and cheap for macro lighting
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:42 PM   #3
thw

Circular fluorescent light... can you provide me with a link? I have not considered the ring light etc because I have not seen any example of people using this. Can you give me more clues. Thanks for the link and the info.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 3:05 PM   #4

I use a lamp like this one. you can take the magnifier out then put the camera in the middle :|

http://www.keysan.com/big/piclled0440.html

Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:26 PM   #5
thw

This arrangement is not very portable, is it? I am mostly interested in insect photography and from what I read recently, ring flashes tend to produce flat images so I think I'll stick to the standard camera flash.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 6:44 PM   #6

thw wrote:
Quote:
This arrangement is not very portable, is it? I am mostly interested in insect photography and from what I read recently, ring flashes tend to produce flat images so I think I'll stick to the standard camera flash.
Yup, aboutportability, this is not a very good idea because it require a battery, a converter to 120VAC, and backpack to carry the whole thing

Yeah, for insects, I agree that this type of lighting will produce flat images. You will have much more interresting result with a flash at different angles.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 5:28 AM   #7

The flash I use is a Metz 34-CS2 digital slave...it also recognises the preflash, but it's not reasonable in price ($150) plus it uses expensive non-rechargeable CR2 batteries. The reason why I bought it though is it's small and easy to carry, plus it's easy to just hold it in my hand when shooting.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote