Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 25, 2002, 12:01 AM   #1

Default Olympic Flash vs Digi-Slave

I have an Olympus C-2100 Digital Camera. I love the camera and am a stringer for the local paper using this camera to take sports shots with great success. My problem is on soccer and football fields at night I can crank the ISO to 400 and move the f-stop all the way down and still have just enough light to make a good picture at any shutter speed that will stop action (around 160). If I get the action close enough to me I can get something that is usable, but that is hard to do and eliminates the benefit of the 10x zoom.

My question is while the camera has a plug in for an external flash, the one that fits it is quite expensive. Will the digi-slave like the 2000 model work? I am understanding that it does not need to hook into the camera but is it quick enough to react to the built-in flash to work. Will this work for sporting events? What distance would I expect to capture at 400 ISO and a 160 shutter? What accessory would I use to attach it to the camera without making it too bulky?

Thanks
ToddNorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2002, 9:33 AM   #2

Metz have an attachment for 45 and 60 series flashes that suit your needs ( sports even ):

Quote:
Telephoto attachment 45 - 33
For all 45 Metz mecablitz flashes. Ideal for taking animal shots in their natural habitat or for sports photography. Effect: Guide number and flash range are doubled. Filter foils can be placed between the two delivered transparent panels.
http://www.metz.de/1_metz_2000/p_ima...orsatz6042.jpg

=====================

In other hand, if you have a “plug” for external flash ( pc sync ?) , why bother with a slave type flash? You can use the cheapest, most powerfull , manual or auto flash you can get.

[Edited on 9-25-2002 by KCan]
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2002, 1:49 PM   #3

The Metz is an excellent flash and I wouldn't give up mine easily but there may be less expensive alternatives. Lots of hot shoe mounted bounce flashes have a zoom fresnel lens feature. A Vivitar 285HV might fit into your budget. You'd need to get something like the Wein digital peanut slave to fire it of course. Much cheaper than the Digislave flashes or Digislave SA-10.

Not bashing Digislave. I had an SA-10 when there was no alternative for using studio flash with my D7.

Slave units "quickness" is virtually instantaneous. The problem with digicams is that pre-flash on the camera will make the slave fire before the shutter opens. Digital slave are programmed to ignore the first flash.

For mounting your flash you'll need a simple bracket mount which is commonly available.

[Edited on 9-25-2002 by padeye]
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2002, 9:36 AM   #4
lg

Quote:
Originally posted by padeye
...The problem with digicams is that pre-flash on the camera will make the slave fire before the shutter opens. Digital slave are programmed to ignore the first flash...
I haven't noticed a pre-flash on my C-2100. Does it have one? I know that it has a separate focus assist light that comes on (which may have nothing to do with it), but do ALL digital cameras have a pre-flash, or just most of them?
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2002, 6:04 PM   #5

I am thinking the Digi flash has a setting that allows it to fire on the first or second flash. That should take care of the pre-flash issue, right.

Also, I am a little confused on the use of the connector that the C-2100 has. Where do I go to find other flashes that would work with that connector or adapters and how do I know if voltage will be correct or hurt the camera? Is there a good place on line that has this type of equipment? The connector is a small (1/4") round, 5 prong male connector, not a hot shoe. If there are less expensive options that work with this is that really better than the slave device? I am assumung the Peanut Slave allows you to use any flash as a slave flash? So many questions!
ToddNorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2002, 12:06 AM   #6

Todd
You can have here trigger voltage of some popular flashes:
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
But, recheck it yourself always.
( ISO standard: clip and center pin, Minolta: pin1 and 4, others: dunno)

I guess that peanut slave is working, but never use it myself. Email to them to have exact information . The inconvenient is you waste the power (and battery) for the on board flash.
The connector on your cam may be proprietary .
If you have a bit electronic knowledge, you can figure out which pin are the trigger and use them to trigger any external flash ( with a voltage isolator if needed )
Old Sep 27, 2002, 6:23 AM   #7
NHL

Quote:
... but do ALL digital cameras have a pre-flash, or just most of them?
So far only the cameras based on the Sony's 5Mpixels CCD do a pre-flash (ie F707/F717, 5000/5700, D7/D7i/D7hi). They all had their own quirks in dealing with external or studio flashes, but the D7/D7i/D7hi so far seems to be the most friendly as a system for theses shooting conditions.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2002, 12:38 PM   #8

From information I've gathered the Coolpix line does not use a pre-flash but not aware of any others.

Might be worth trying as you could use a standard slave. Try it and if it doesn't sync exchange it for a digital slave.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2002, 12:59 PM   #9

What I know is the Coolpix 950 do not use a preflash
I used a 36GN third party flash with a cheap slave sensor with the 950
Old Oct 2, 2002, 12:23 AM   #10

To use a third party flash (in AUTO mode, or manual) with that Olympus jack, you need the Olympus FLCB-04. Make sure it is the OH-FOUR. I've used Nikon, Vivitar, and Sunpak flashes with my C3000. The cable is like fifty dollars or more, but well worth it. You can use a cheap L-shape bracket for the flash and camera. My favorite has been my Sunpak 544 handle mount flash; powerful and flexible. You can get a Sunpak flash extender for it, and light up the moon. Well, sort of. I've used it for PJ, and shot graduation speakers from back of the gym/auditorium.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote