Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 2, 2004, 4:24 PM   #1

Having just bought a used Sony DSC-D770 SLR off e-Bay, what external flash should I select to work with this camera? The Sony doesn't seem to have a "dedicated" flash shoe like most other brands, so I assume that an auto-thyristor flash with self-metering would be appropriate? What brands will work with a "dumb" shoe like the Sony's? Also, what settings should I use on the flash to ensure proper exposure over a variety of indoor lighting conditions? Thanks!
Boomzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2004, 4:48 PM   #2

"what external flash should I select to work with this camera?"

No restriction really, aslong as it's safe (low triggering voltage), your choice : shoemount, bracket mount ... , the power you need

"The Sony doesn't seem to have a "dedicated" flash shoe like most other brands, so I assume that an auto-thyristor flash with self-metering would be appropriate? "

Yes, you are right

"What brands will work with a "dumb" shoe like the Sony's? Also, what settings should I use on the flash to ensure proper exposure over a variety of indoor lighting conditions? Thanks!"

Every brands should work ( with some rare exception)
Some model seems popular like Vivitar 285HV or Sunpak 383 , seems to be good value (but I don't own any of these).
Metz products are among top in reliability and quality, but cost a bit more
For how to use , take a look in other threads here, there are indications and recommendation to tutotrials also.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 4:55 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback. Most "third party" flashes (Vivitar, Metz, Sunpak) come with dedicated mounts for specific camera makes (Nikon, Canon, Minolta, etc.). How do I get a non-dedicated flash, or will any of the dedicated models work fine but without camera-body control?
Boomzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 8:42 PM   #4

Boomzilla,
Most of each series of third party flashes exist in the non dedicated version, for example:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...;Q=&ci=646
(just for selection example, I never bought anything there yet, so it's not a website recommendation)

The interesting features you have to check are basic functions like:
- GN number, means the max power ( always compare the GN at the same angle coverage, or at the same focal length);
- Bounce, Swivel, Zoom head ;
- Different F stops available for auto mode (f/2, 4, 8, 11, etc …);
- Different partial power level available (1/2, ¼, 1/16 , etc …) ;
- Of course, you have choice of shoe mount or handle (bracket) mount;
- The color , hehe , unfortunately there are no flash that match your camera body color I think:? ;
- Also, check at this website to see if the flash have a safe trigger voltage:
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
(you will see that old and cheap flash are often unsafe for digicam)

=====================

You may want to get a dedicated flash if you have another camera as in this case for example:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=9

So with your other camera, you can have TTL , auto, and manual modes, and with your Sony (or any other camera in general) , auto and manual modes.

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 2:17 AM   #5

Just be weary of flash trigger voltages...many digicams will be damaged with high trigger voltages (higher than 6volts, some flashes can be 150volts or more).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 8:06 AM   #6

i have a d700 - the earlier model

I have used an external flash in a couple of ways - both with early 1980's vintage flashes.

My Vivitar 283 works fine on the hot shoe.

For the hot shoe, i bought a hot-shoe to PC cord adapter. Using the PC cord hooked to the old Bowens Monolight (don't ask me about the voltage cause i don't know) and it works fine.

The ability to use external flashes like these is one of the wonderful things about the d700 and D770.

Steve Bayer
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote