Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 18, 2004, 8:50 AM   #1

Currently I have a Olympus C-750 digital camera and an old Sunkpak flash. I want to buy Phoenix D91-BZS 4-Stop Digital Slave (btw, what do you think of this flash?) and a Wein PN Peanut Slave (to the old flash).
It seems like my camera has preflash so activating the old sunpak flash (with the peanut slave) with that would mean that it'll fire to early, correct?
Now if I activate the Phoenix flash with the built-in flash and 'hide' the peanut slave behind something so it won't fire at the pre-flash, but on the burst from the Phoenix flash both flashes will fire correctly, right?
Do you think this idea will work at all?
Luthion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2004, 9:41 AM   #2

FYI: Wein has a "smart slave cell " that can "drive" your Sunpak correctly (but I have no personal experience with this product)

Luthion wrote: [/b]

Quote:
It seems like my camera has preflash so activating the old sunpak flash (with the peanut slave) with that would mean that it'll fire to early, correct?
correct

Quote:
Now if I activate the Phoenix flash with the built-in flash and 'hide' the peanut slave behind something so it won't fire at the pre-flash, but on the burst from the Phoenix flash both flashes will fire correctly, right?
Do you think this idea will work at all?
2) Absolutely , it will work, but 2 remarks:
a) You don't need any "Wein" or special slave cell for this , a simple cheap 5 box slave cell will do as well
b) The phoenix (and the sunpak if applicable) should be set on manual (or partial power manual mode if applicable) . The auto mode (set with f number) may give unpredictable result sinceeach flash sensor receive light from other source thanfrom the flash it supposes to control.

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 9:46 AM   #3

FYI: Wein has a "smart slave cell " that can "drive" your Sunpak correctly (but I have no personal experience with this product)
http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm
-----------------------
Quote:
WEIN DIGITAL BATTERYLESS SMART SLAVES are designed to ignore the preflash or flashes and to fire any remote slaved flash in perfect synchronization with the on board digital camera flash.
---------------------
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:04 AM   #4

Thanks for the help!
KCan wrote:
Quote:
a) You don't need any "Wein" or special slave cell for this , a simple cheap 5 box slave cell will do as well
Well, the Wein peanut slave was the cheapest I found at B&H,but I might have missed some...
Well, the 'smart slave cell' costs $15 more than the normal one, so I guess I'll stay with the normal (or any cheaper option) if it'll work covering the cell (and if I understood you correct, it does)...

EDIT: The Sunpak flash has both manual and auto setting...
Old Aug 18, 2004, 12:45 PM   #5

It's possible that you may have some difficulties covering the slave cell. You may try kind of opaque tubing to make sure the slave cell not triggered by other than the main flash burst:

Sometimes ago, I used a optical fiber to get optically close to the main flash

Attached Images

Old Aug 18, 2004, 3:13 PM   #6

That sounds like a good idea, thanks!

My original idea was this:
Attached Images

Old Aug 18, 2004, 7:23 PM   #7

Yeah ..., in fact, in your original setup, the slave sensor will catch the camera preflash by reflection from the subject and even from the first slave flashbody