Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 28, 2005, 9:12 AM   #11

If you want to use your hotshoe, the Sunpak 383 is the way to go.

You could also consider using a slave flash. This gives you the option of placing the flash somewhere off-camera, which gives you more flexibility in using your on-board flash plus the slave for more creative lighting possibilities. I have a Vivitar DF200 flash that can be used on the hotshoe or as a slave.

In addition to fitting on the hotshoe, the DF200 comes with a bracket that can be attached to the camera, but this is a pretty heavy and cumbersome arrangement. It's also really close to your onboard flash, which defeats the purpose of the slave. The slave flash can also be hand-held, mounted on a tripod or set on a table or shelf. I'm using it solely as a slave. I've just recently bought it so I'm still learning how to use it for creating side-lighting, etc., but I'm having fun figuring it all out.

LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 9:32 AM   #12

LadyhawkVA, you will not advice me to go for the dmw-fl20 for the fz20?
Then maybe I better buy the Sunpak 383 or the Vivitar DF200. Can you give me the final advice? (I like beeing creative andI think I am a little demanding)

Regards
Espen, Norway

esbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:40 AM   #13

My understanding is the Panasonic's flash is quite a bit more expensive than the Sunpak. From what I've read, the Panasonic is a good flash. I think many people opt for the Sunpak, which is also a good flash, simply because they can save quite a bit of money by doing so. I've read that all of Panasonic's accessories perform well, as one would expect, but that they are too expensive. In the end, you will have to be the judge.

By the way, there is a good thread on slave flashes in this section:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53

Check it out if you want to consider the slave flash option. If you prefer to use the hotshoe, go with Sunpak or Panasonic.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:19 PM   #14

Hi!

I also own a Panasonic FZ-20, and just acquired here in Israel, where I live an a used Metz 32MZ-3m only with central contact...trigger voltage I check it with my Fluke DMM, 4.12 volt, as the camera allow maximum 43 volts; it's very safe. Before I acquired also used a Sunpak 433-AF for Nikon...I cover all the unneeded contacts; leaving only the central one...both works awesome with my black FZ-20.
Heads of the flash moves in my two units around & up, the metz have also "Macro" 5 grade down. If you can comprehend what I mean...?

Alex 007
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 2:12 AM   #15

Thanks, folks, Alex 007, LadyhawkVA and others for responding on this. Futhermore: Does anyone know the Sunpack pz-5000 AF TTL. I have heard that this is awaysome and very powerful. But,the fz 20 is not TTL compatible, but even so, can I use it? I know it has a lot of possibilities.

One more thing: I cannot find goodinformation on specifications for the Pana flash fl20....

Espen, Norway
Old Sep 30, 2005, 2:54 AM   #16

OK, I have now been "going through" this forum and read about slave flash options. I willnow go for aslave flash, because of the flexibilities. For example :Handheld, different angles, heights etc.

Any suggestionsfor the FZ-20?

Old Sep 30, 2005, 2:57 AM   #17

Hello Esbe!

Really I also don't know such Sunpak strobe, but if...as mine 443, has also "Auto" feature, you can use it...only cover all the not neccesary contacts, leaving only the "Centrally" one and of course the "Hidden" one at both sides of the shoe.

Seems me by the model that is more powerfully that mine!

Good Luck!

Alex 007
Old Sep 30, 2005, 5:56 PM   #18

esbe wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know the Sunpack pz-5000 AF TTL. I have heard that this is awaysome and very powerful. But,the fz 20 is not TTL compatible, but even so, can I use it? I know it has a lot of possibilities.

Absolutely

esbe wrote:
Quote:
One more thing: I cannot find goodinformation on specifications for the Pana flash fl20....

esbe wrote:

Quote:
OK, I have now been "going through" this forum and read about slave flash options. I willnow go for aslave flash, because of the flexibilities. For example :Handheld, different angles, heights etc.

Any suggestionsfor the FZ-20?
http://www.adorama.com/SU5000AFEOS.html

Auto Settings F/Stops f/2.0 - f/16 (in full stops)
Power Ratio form 1/1 to 1/64 in 1/3 EV steps.

IMO, if you own that sunpak, it's far superior to average slave flash you can find. Plus, the camera will respond quicker. With those specs (several auto and manual power settings), sure, it's a better choice in your case. Slave flash are made to overcome the handicap of cameras without hotshoe mainly.

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:48 PM   #19

Hi KCan!

I enter at Adorama site. and read very carefully the specifications on this strobe.

For example the Guide Number at 35mm lens, (My oldie 433 has a "Fixed" 35mm covert", is 100% exactly to this much newer flash, also the price it's NO so cheap + all the "Dedicated Features"...in our lovely FZ-20 don't needed as don't work...so...why to pay for features that you never will use it...maybe the "manually" zoom it's OK...however you must reset to your lens (That in our FZ-20 it's NOT easy to know exactly at which focal lens length are you using), what, you will make "Calculations"...based at the "X" factor that you sow at the LCD/viewfinder...nonsense. That is very usefully with the new FZ-30, with the manually zoom!

I saw a now currently produced simpler Sunpak...with "Normal" centrally contact only, Auto, fix 35mm head...and much cheaper & lighter...sorry that I can't recall the model number only begins with the number "3".

Esbe...good luck!
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:44 PM   #20

esbe wrote:
Quote:

http://www.adorama.com/IOMFL20.html?...&item_no=3

Sorry, the link did not show on the above post

oops, wrong one, this is an Olympus

You must be right, I did not find specs of the DMW FL-28 (I guess that's what you mean)

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote