Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 1, 2005, 12:01 AM   #21

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
...so...why to pay for features that you never will use it...maybe the "manually" zoom it's OK...however you must reset to your lens (That in our FZ-20 it's NOT easy to know exactly at which focal lens length are you using), what, you will make "Calculations"...based at the "X" factor that you sow at the LCD/viewfinder...nonsense. That is very usefully with the new FZ-30, with the manually zoom!

I saw a now currently produced simpler Sunpak...with "Normal" centrally contact only, Auto, fix 35mm head...and much cheaper & lighter...sorry that I can't recall the model number only begins with the number "3".
Hi Alex, I agree with you 100%. My opinion is that if if esbe already own that flash, it's useless to buy another slave flash or generic hotshoe flash.

And if the choice are between slave flash and generic flash, I would go for a generic.
You must be talking about the sunpak 383?

http://www.adorama.com/SU383.html?se...&item_no=3

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 12:22 AM   #22

Esbe!

My heart full advice...try to buy a Sunpak and NOT the Panasonic!
You may find a Sunpak, cheaper that the originally Panasonic.

Good Luck!

Alex 007
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 12:32 AM   #23

100% exactly!

Don't needed any more "Features"...that this specific strobe has!& I think is cheap..at least cheaper that the 2 strobe that Esbe ask for...Panasonic & series "5" Sunpak one!

I agree, that if he already own one..."MUST"...be with trigger voltage lower that 43 volts!

Be well!

BTW..I also own the vintage Sunpak "Hammer" 552/3600..which can't be use it with our lovely Fz-20...for so last week, I acquired the newer Fuji FinePix S9500 (S9000 in USA)...that provide for me the possibleness to use my Sunpak 552 trough Sync Cord...safely!.

Alex 007
Old Oct 1, 2005, 11:43 AM   #24

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
BTW..I also own the vintage Sunpak "Hammer" 552/3600..which can't be use it with our lovely Fz-20...
Why not? you can get a safesync from Wein ($++) or do it yoursef one (%--) :G

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53

http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm

I love hammer head :G, I got 3 Metz hammer :?
Old Oct 4, 2005, 3:53 AM   #25

Thanks for advices from all of you! I will go for sunpak 383 or vivitar df200...

I think they both are good choices and will cover my needs.
(And, I always buy at B&H)

Regards, esbe
Norway
esbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 9:16 AM   #26

Hi people, I've been reading posts for this topic, trying to get an aswer for a question that came up yesterday about my FZ20.

I was taking pictures in studio and something very strange happened. That is, when I use the built in flash solely, I can take pictures with correct exposure. However, when I turn on the studio slave flash, without changing anything in camera setup, I get an UNDERexposed (not overexposed) image. Isn't it wired?

Another problem I had is that if I setup the camera for the studio conditions (very bright, 'cause of the flashs), the preview image, in the viewfinder, gets too dark, and I can't see what I'm shotting! :?

Can anybody help me??
rtruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:52 AM   #27

Hello Rtruman!

Did you use "Manual" set up...if you do so...the finder/LCD finder goes dark and is almost impossible to see something...that is the default on setting/adjusting of the camera & to my cognition can't be changed.

Concerning your added Studio strobe, maybe another member will reply 100% correctly your problem. Sorry!

All the best!

Alex 007[img]images/emoticons/camera.gif[/img]
Old Nov 23, 2005, 1:28 PM   #28

rtruman wrote:
Quote:
That is, when I use the built in flash solely, I can take pictures with correct exposure. However, when I turn on the studio slave flash, without changing anything in camera setup, I get an UNDERexposed (not overexposed) image. Isn't it wired?
it's because your camera (build in) flash did preflash (for metering, red eyes mode , etc..) the studio flash got triggered and firedat the first preflash, so the camera sees that it's own flash need to be set at even lower power; at the right moment (the main flash burst moment) you got a underpowered (camera built in) flash and of course no studioflash help (the studio flash can not re-fire , no time to recharge), and you got underlighting.

Solution: find a way to suppress preflash on your camera built in flash (manual flash setting may be?)
Old Nov 23, 2005, 1:43 PM   #29

Wow! Thank you for fast and precise responses! I'm happy with that, though, what about the "live exposure preview", does anybody know how to disable or even to workaround this problem?

Thanks in advance.
rtruman is offline   Reply With Quote