Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 7, 2004, 4:15 PM   #1
maw

Hello,
I've been making some progress thanks to your help in taking some close ups of integrated circuits (ICs) using my Nikon D70, 105mm macro and SB800 flash. Per your advice I'm looking into a cable (29) to move the flash off the camera head and maybe a bracket and another slave flash (what would be good for the slave?) to work with the SB800. I've noticed a macro flash ring from Nikon, Sunpack and Vivitar that fits on the lens end. Would this be a good option and would any of these work well with the D70? I would also like to shoot some insects and flowers if this is compatable with the Macro Ring Flash.
Thanks for all the great help,
Mike

maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2004, 11:30 AM   #2

maw wrote:
Quote:
I would also like to shoot some insects and flowers if this is compatable with the Macro Ring Flash.
IMO, this is not a good idea , insects and flowers pics would have a flat look with a ring flash, or ring light.

mawwrote:
Quote:
... and another slave flash (what would be good for the slave?) to work with the SB800
- An expensive solution is to get a 2nd SB800, to have both SB800 in TTL (controled by the master)
- An economic solution is to get a dumb flash with several manual power settings, triggered (via cheap slave cell) by the SB800 in manual mode. In this case , choosing a flash with the same max power (eq GN at same focal) would make set up easier.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 1:40 PM   #3
maw

Thanks,

It's probably better to invest in another SB800 than a ring flash right? The 2 SB800's could be held by a bracket and I should be able to get good shots of my IC chips as well as the fun stuff (insects & flowers). I understand that Nikon is coming out with a new SB600 that will cost less than the 800 but be compatible with the D70. I wonder if this would work for my second flash??

Thanks for the help,

Mike
maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 3:14 PM   #4

maw wrote:
Quote:
I understand that Nikon is coming out with a new SB600 that will cost less than the 800 but be compatible with the D70. I wonder if this would work for my second flash??
I think yes:

http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/pdfs/SB600.pdf

quote:
i-TTL or Manual when used with SB-800 Speedlight
Versatile Wireless functions for up to 3 remote i-TTL
speedlight groups controlled by SB-800 Speedlight

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote