Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 4, 2002, 9:16 PM   #1

Default Questions: Fuji S602 and Sunpak 555

I''ve just purchased Fuji S602 and waiting for delivery.

1. Can I use Sunpak 555 as external flash with 602Z? Any adjustments needed?
2. How do I sync flash with camera?
3. Is there a hotshoe adapter into which I can plug my 555 sync cord? Where can I purchase one?
4. What are the benefits to using this setup?

Thanks. I'm new to digital imagery and need to get up to speed on color balancing, finding hot pixels, etc.

Over the years, I've learned a lot from these types of discussion fora. You guys are all great with your wealth of first hand knowledge and experiences. Look forward to contributing but mostlikely thru hard knocks.
WeekendWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2002, 2:08 PM   #2

"1. Can I use Sunpak 555 as external flash with 602Z? Any adjustments needed? "
- You can use the flash in auto-aperture mode , ie you set the flash in this mode, the cam with the corresponding aperture , speed depends on how you want the background (the cam is in complete manual exposure mode).
- no TTL I think ( other will confirm this, I am not positive since I don't know well the flash and the camera)

"2. How do I sync flash with camera? "
with the hot shoe simply, for sync speed , check the cam manual, usually with digicam, there is no restriction ( can sync with high speed)

"3. Is there a hotshoe adapter into which I can plug my 555 sync cord? Where can I purchase one? "
Yes, it's an "ISO hot shoe to PC adapter" like this:
http://www.pbase.com/image/1964130
(it's the piece on the hot shoe)
you can buy this in any camera store

"4. What are the benefits to using this setup? "
- Much more power than the built in flash
- flash not anymore in the lens axis, less red eyes risk
- "bounce and swivel control for creative lighting effects" as they people said
- you look ... cooler
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2002, 9:42 PM   #3

Of course you'll look way cooler with a Metz

Seriously, you'll get dramatically better results with a spud smahser than you ever would with a built in flash. Take a look at some of the bounce cards available to attach to your 555. You'll aim the flash to the ceiling for bounce effect and the card reflects some of the light directly forward for fill and catchlight. The Metz flashes that Kcan and I use have a second flash head to get the same result but much more expensively

Check the sync voltage off the 555. I don't think it';s too high but for about $40 you can get a safe sync adapter that will protect your camera from high sync voltage. If the voltage is close to 6v or less you can get a passive one like the Nikon AS-15

[Edited on 10-6-2002 by padeye]
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2002, 7:18 AM   #4

Gee, thanks Kcan and Padeye. Your responses were exactly what I was looking for. Delivery for the camera is tomorrow and I'll be back with more questions and solicit additional advice on my setup.

Now that I know what to ask for, I'll go to my local camera shop with my setup and ask about a safe sync adapter.

FYI, I considered a METZ after my first Sunpak failed, but couldn't justify the cost. As an occasional/family picture taker, having a pro "spud smasher" was a bit too much.

Old Oct 7, 2002, 1:31 AM   #5

Keep an eye out for a used Metz. I found mine for $200 on vacation and ran across another for the same price at a pro shop when I got back.

FWIW you can buy the Wein safe sync ISO to PC adapter under the Mamiya brand. I think it's actually a few bucks cheaper at B&H
Old Oct 8, 2002, 6:37 AM   #6

Received camera yesterday and have been enjoying it but anxious to try it out with 555.

Padeye:

Any ideas where I can find out the info on sync voltage other than my owner's manual? I've looked around but can't locate my manual. The Tocad website doesn't offer much info either.

Other readers with Sunpak 555:

Can you lend a hand? I'd appreciate the help with finding and verifying what sync voltage is for my 555. Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2002, 10:44 AM   #7

Get a volt meter and check it yourself or call the phone number on the tocad site. They are also quite responsive to email. You can solve the problem by buying a Wein/Mamiya safe sync for about $40
Old Oct 10, 2002, 8:44 PM   #8

Padeye: I received call from Tocad technician who said the sync voltage is 6 volts. He raised possible use of Wein safe sync but said since voltage is already 6v it wouldn't matter in first place. He then suggested two options: (1) find sync cord that attached to 555 and connected directly to hot shoe and (2) purchasing Sunpak Ext-11 cord and interface module STD-1D--pricier route. Any thoughts?

I'm also looking into locating the AS-15 that you mentioned.

UPDATE:

Padeye: I found a used AS-15 and tried it... IT WORKS! Now I have to refamiliarize myself with the flash (I don't have manual) and figure out how to get best exposures. In order to use an external flash, the automatic exposure features are not available. Thanks for your help.