Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 26, 2004, 4:11 PM   #1

My DIY flash bracket for the M410R was inspired in part by the "Rollbar" company products, other DIY webpages and a very cheap, simple commercialL shaped Flash bracket from my junkbox.

The "grip" was scavenged from thejunkbox bracket and is largely for cosmetic effect. The adjustable Cable Release arm can be swung back to allow manual use of the shutter button, without removing the camera off the Flash Bracket. No control is obscured by the bracket, but a more sophisticated design would be needed to allow access to the battery door (not easy, but not impossible, considering where Kyocera decided to put the tripod socket!) and the Memory Card door.

The TLA30 flash is mounted to show scale .... I would need to get hold of a slave adapter to make use of this gun with this set-up.

The Flash "hot-shoe", Manfrotto Quick Release plate and Cable release arm are all attached via captive 1/4 - 20 standard tripod knurled thumbwheels.

The Manfrotto QR is useful to have easy access to the memory card, and to preserve the life of the 1/4 thread on the camera base

I will get round to "Black Anodising" it one day! I may also investigate substituting the CR with a solenoid(etc) to allow electronic control.

I'm happy if I inspire someone else to have a go.

BFN KK
Attached Images

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2004, 6:48 PM   #2

Very nice and neat work

I have a question though: usually , people put the bracket grip in the left side (of the user), is that because you are left handed or some other reason?

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:23 PM   #3

Hello Kid;

I agree with KCan... The workmanship is excellent, but the right-hand grip/left-hand shutter seems a little odd to me. I do like the adjustable cable release arm. Good work.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:46 AM   #4

Thank you, Tom and Kcan.

The 1" strip of 3mm alu was lying around from another project ....I wish it had been a little longer to allow for slightly longer horizontal arms. The adjustable CR arm was inspired by "Rollbar".

The bends were done by "eye", in a vice lined with hard wood. The edges were cleaned up from the previous jobs rough hacksawing, with a file. The finish was achieved with first a "mouse" type sander, then a rubber impregnated polishing block and finally a Brillow pad. No more than 1.5hrs work including the drilling and taping of holes, all done on an idle afternoon.

I don't know why I prefer it the way I photographed it .... my hand fits nicely around the handle and fingers still work the controls perfectly.

However .... not to disappoint the ambidextrous :blah:..... it'll work the other way around....

Cheers, KK

Attached Images

Kyocera Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:44 PM   #5

Hello Kyocera;

Ahhh, I see. Very nice handiwork. And I do understand about beeing limited by your materials. A longer horizontal arm length would allow more room between the camera and the grip, regardless of your left/right handedness.

Well done.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote