Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 8, 2002, 10:22 PM   #11

KCan,

Thanks for the links and recommendations -- I'll check the links soon.

I too was impressed with the presence of the second tube for fill flash when you bounce the main flash. Also, I didn't know what a winder mode was until now. The Fuji S602 will shoot a 5 frame burst, or a 3 frame exposure auto-bracketing, but the onboard flash is disabled cause it just can't keep up. Does your Metz need an external battery to support winder mode?

Thanks again,
Tri
trialpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 10:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialpha
Does your Metz need an external battery to support winder mode?
no, but the « official » rate is 2fps, and with NiCad battery rack ( Metz still not converted to NiNH yet )
BTW, me and Padeye (another member here) have converted our NiCad battery rack into MiNH ( triple the life):
http://www.pbase.com/kcan/metz4540_battery_pack

You may also verify if there is sync signal at 5 fps on your cam; My D7i , at the 7fps mode, does not have flash sync signal, which disappoint me a bit
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 6:59 AM   #13

Quote:
You may also verify if there is sync signal at 5 fps on your cam; My D7i , at the 7fps mode, does not have flash sync signal, which disappoint me a bit
Good point. I will try to verify that.

Also, I didn't realize the Metz would require proprietary battery packs if you want rechargables. I have bunches of NiMH batteries and a charger I use for my camera already. I'd really like to use those instead of a proprietary system. I don't quite get this explanation in the manual of too much current coming from a rechargable that they must compensate for with the contacts. Of course I do realize you have less voltage from the rechargables.

--Tri
Old Dec 9, 2002, 8:44 AM   #14

Tri,
Metz 45 come in 2 “flavors”: 1) with alkaline AA rack, or 2) with NiCad rack ( with slow charger included) . AC adapter is separately sold.
The Alkaline battery rack use 6 AA alkalines.
The NiCad rack use 6 AA NiCad already connected inside ( not replacable)

The Alkaline rack and the NiCad rack use different contact ( see my pbase pics) to take into account the 2 voltages. Using NiCad or NiMH in the Alkaline rack won’t allow the flash to operate properly and false the metering system.

If you want to use separate NiCad/NiMH with the alkaline rack, you must modify the contacts ( see the pics) accordingly ( not recommended by Metz of course, I won’t either, At the dirty low price of NiMH AA now, don’t bother to manage to use separate NiMH)

The best way is to get a used or completely dead NiCad rechargeable rack, and replace the 6 x 500 mAh Nicad , by 6 x 1700_to_2100 mAh “modern” NiMH , as I did . With 2100 mAh, you more than quadruple the original rated flash number by Metz!
I use the alkaline rack with 6 fresh alkaline for emergency backup only.
Both racks can fit in all 45 series flash.
Old Dec 9, 2002, 10:28 PM   #15

It's me again...

I checked the flash sync from the Fuji S602 and was disappointed as well. There is no flash sync from any burst mode.

I see what you mean about the "flavors." The different contacts make sense after seeing the pictures. What makes contact modification (though not recommended - of course) more appealing to me is the fact that I'm not fond of soldering to batteries. Especially when the torch gets them a little too hot and they explode like a firecracker! :shock:

Any idea how rechargable alkalines would perform? I'm certainly not impressed with their performance in the camera, and I wouldn't expect any better of them in the flash.

Thanks,
Tri

P.S. Just kidding about the torch and ka-boom!
Old Dec 9, 2002, 11:44 PM   #16

Quote:
What makes contact modification (though not recommended - of course) more appealing to me is the fact that I'm not fond of soldering to batteries
The drawback of this modification is the alkaline rack is now dedicated to 1.2 V NiCad or NiMH, and the danger is that you may forgot and put in 6 alkalines , the Metz sees 9V where it expects 7.2 V :shock: . I did not consider this approach b/c I have 2 rechargeable racks and 1 alkaline, but that’s the conclusion of Padeye, it’s too risky.

Quote:
Any idea how rechargable alkalines would perform? I'm certainly not impressed with their performance in the camera, and I wouldn't expect any better of them in the flash.
Absolutely no idea
:roll:
Old Dec 10, 2002, 6:52 AM   #17

Quote:
...the danger is that you may forgot and put in 6 alkalines , the Metz sees 9V where it expects 7.2 V
Good point.

I guess I just need to get a good flash and learn how to use it first. Then I can work on how to make it better later on. At least the Metz 45CL-4 is a flash that can grow with me. If I decide to purchase a new TTL compatible camera (i.e. Canon D60) a year or two down the road, the flash can be upgraded with the appropriate module and be like a brand new toy.

Thanks for all your recommendations and wise counsel. It's a shame there hasn't been more participation from other forum members -- perhaps because I talk (type) to much.

--Tri
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:05 AM   #18
lg

You may have already checked out this thread in the same forum, but if not it has some good discussion on flash alternatives.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 2:47 PM   #19

Thanks LG,

I had overlooked that thread in that I'd been searching specifically for references to the Fuji S602 and flashes.

--Tri
Old Dec 11, 2002, 6:05 AM   #20

Default Vivitar 283 S602 external flash

Anyone have any experience actually using the Vivitar 283 with the S602 ?

I mainly wonder if its safe to mount on the camera and will not damage the S602 in any way.

:?:
artm is offline   Reply With Quote