Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:13 AM   #21

:!: :!:
The 283 may have high trigger voltage, check it yourself before mounting/connect it to the camera

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...&highlight=283
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 5:48 PM   #22

Default Fuji S602 and external flash...

Problem solved.

Fuji have advised me that as long as the flash shoe voltage is under 400V, all is well using on my S602. I measured my 25 year old Vivitar 283 shoe voltage today at appx 100V. Both with AC adaptor and normal AA batteries.

Put on hot shoe & works just fine. No problemo !

I would suggest not placing on hot shoe with flash charged up; just to eliminate any transient higher voltage problem.

Put on hot shoe - THEN turn it on.

- Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCan
:!: :!:
The 283 may have high trigger voltage, check it yourself before mounting/connect it to the camera

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...&highlight=283
artm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 12:46 PM   #23

Regarding Fuji's comment about shoe voltage, I would review the technical section of the Fuji manual very carefully. In the Epson forum, a fellow indicated that he had called Epson tech support and they told him the Epson could handle 240 V.

WRONG! This was the maximum input AC voltage for a power adapter and/or optional battery charger.

I decided it was far safer to use a strobe with a low trigger potential, than run the risk of frying my camera slowly over the long run. While Canon says 6V DC maximum on it's cameras, I believe the applicable ISO standard calls for 24 V DC capability.

I have an old Vivitar 273 that heats up to 233 V DC; I would use that only with a safesync in the shoe or with a slave off-shoe.
Damien* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 2:49 PM   #24

I've just unearthed a Cobra D650, GN32 @28mm. It has a dedicated unit, but can fire auto with its own front sensor. I checked the voltage and it was 5V. Bounce pics on a 602 look promising.

So my thinking is that actually a dedicated flash, able to be used auto or manual, is more likely to have low voltage transistor drivers and will keep the hotshoe safe.

I don't know what's behind the shoe on a 602. At best it could be a reed relay and might be OK with 400V, at worst it could be CMOS 15 Volts max. I'm happy with 5Volt.

I'm just about to hook up a garage door zapper to the shoe and receiver on the flash, to try out remote sync for fun. Who needs bluetooth! You could hang one of these from a helium balloon or leave it at the touch line for indoor footie shots! Perhaps have half a dozen wireless flashes- cheaper than a Metz 60!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 7:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I don't know what's behind the shoe on a 602. At best it could be a reed relay and might be OK with 400V, at worst it could be CMOS 15 Volts max. I'm happy with 5Volt.
IMO, a mechanical relay is out of question (too long). My guess is it should be a SCR, Triac, or MosFet, rated at 200-400 volts range ( dirty cheap anyway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Perhaps have half a dozen wireless flashes- cheaper than a Metz 60!
Absolutely!
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 5:05 AM   #26

Quote:
IMO, a mechanical relay is out of question (too long).
Not the miniature reeds I'm using- 1ms (1/1000th sec) operating time, but you're probably right. In which case they must be using power MOS open drain if the shoe fires flashes below 5Volts, 'cos scr's or triacs wouldn't turn on, and MOS has the low RDS_on.

So if overvoltage causes the device to fail short to the gate, that's your cams chips fried, unless they've put an opto in the way!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote