Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 9, 2004, 9:44 PM   #1

I'm using a Canon 420 EX speedlite onboard flash with a 75-300 lens to shoot nighttime football. The problem I'm having is that I can only get one burst when I shoot multiple frames. I'm using fresh Energizer batteries. Does this have to do with the focal length or can I reset the flash in some manner. I can get multiple bursts fromt the flash when I use an 18-55 lens. Thanks for any assistance.
NNDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2004, 10:45 AM   #2

I am not sure what "multiple frame" means , is it rapid shot? ~3 frame per second?

The flash can keep up only if the burst does not "empty" it's energy (meaning the energy charged in it's capacitor) If the first bust use 100% of the energy, then you have to wait (the recycling time/delay) to be ready for the next burst. May be when you use the 18-55 lens, the subject is pretty close, so the flash do not need all of the energy, and can be ready in a fraction of second later, which is not the case when the subject is real far away.

You can use the flash in manual , partial power mode , which allow a higher frame rate, but of course, may be it's not powerful enough for the shot.(traditionnally, they call this "winder mode")
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 3:43 PM   #3

This unit does not have manual controls I just discovered. I guess I'm out of luck!
NNDman is offline   Reply With Quote