Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 10, 2004, 7:55 PM   #1

I know all the concerns about hot shoe contacts on old flashes having too high a trigger voltage for some of the new modern digital cameras. Does anyone know if these concerns apply to PC connectors as well? Some cameras, notably the Kodak 6490 and 6590, have PC connections for external flashes. If a flash has too high a voltage at the hot shoe connection, will that make it unsuitable for use with the PC cord as well? I have an old Vivitar 283 which has a shoe voltage in excess of 250 volts. This flash has the capability to be used with a PC cord, but I am having trouble trying to measure the voltage at the PC cord. I would apprecitat any information anybody might have on this. Thanks.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:06 PM   #2

The sync voltage for the 6490/7590 is up to 500V

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi...ations/tib4378?

But they do recommend you drop it to 6V using a safe sync.

Personally I've fired about 10K pictures on studio flashes (ranging from 6V to 300V) most above 30V without problems.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:44 PM   #3

Greetings;

This is good to know. I'm afraid that pretty soon I'll have to be adding an external flash to my 6490. The onboard flash is pretty much useless as soon as you add the lens adaptor.

I understand, though, that using an external flash requires a fair amount of calculation to match the flash to your metered settings. Oh, well... more reading to do.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:03 PM   #4

Tom Overton wrote:
Quote:
I understand, though, that using an external flash requires a fair amount of calculation to match the flash to your metered settings. Oh, well... more reading to do.
Not really if you are just using one handheld flash (I used a Sunpak 383) you can use the automatic settings on the flash pretty easily.

Even when set to manual the slide rule function on the flash works very well. Just make sure to set the ISO on the flash to match the speed on the camera.

I advise you get something like a 383 the zoom head really gives the punch you need to get out to the distance of the 10x zoom.

DX6490 + SunPak 383 + Lumiquest Softbox.

I have shot pictures (without the softbox) the width of a basketball court (bleacher to bleacher) with it also.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote