Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 9, 2004, 6:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Maybe, they don't *really* have it. ;-) You'll see 18 pages of customer reviews for this vendor starting on this page:
You are correct, man this place is a nightmage. I found this site from a link on Amazon.com a major site referencing such a horrible site....

I called to verify shipment and they gave me bogus UPS tracking number.

When I called to talk to them about this I got referred to an answering machine which hung up on me...

:?
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2004, 8:34 AM   #12
NHL

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
However, again because the 420ex does not have manual feature I can not set ratio's. the 420ex as a slave fires a full power and can not be reduced even through ttl readings from camera when remote.
Yes you can! :idea:

The ratio is control from the master as a group setting. You can even do flash exposure compensation (FEC) remotely if the 420EX is set on group C (even with the Sigma as a Master!)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 1:45 PM   #13

Quote:
The ratio is control from the master as a group setting. You can even do flash exposure compensation (FEC) remotely if the 420EX is set on group C
O.K., Now youv'e gotten my attention... Where did you get this information? I called Canon directly on this issue and was told ratios could only be done with 550EX or 580EX. It did not make sense to me because they are still trasmitting e-ttl information so why would it not be smart. However, I was told it is only smart when on the camera not as a slave. I was really hoping that if I set the 580ex in manual and set the power to 3/4 or 1/2 that at least the 420ex in slave would be at 3/4 or 1/2. Wireless FEC would be GREAT!

I love the 580ex but STILL regret purchasing the 420, if I can't get it to work with 580ex I will swap it out for a couple sigma's as slave to 580. I want to use ttl flashes as hair lights and backgound lights with gels. My main lighting in studio comes from two AB800's, the wireless ttl flashes areto accessorize and for on the road.

PS

So I did end up doing both after all... (studio and ttl) The TTL flashes are better for on the road, fast easy setup with no power required and simular results.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 4:42 PM   #14

I have been reading your topic on flashes for the canon 300d,as all of my indoor shots are very under exposed no matter what settings I use.Am I missing something surely canon wouldn't put a flash there if it was useless.If it necessary I will have to buy an external flash someone mentioned the sigma 500 super dg,does anyone know what the other models are like as this is quite expensive (although the modelling flash mode sounds quite good,don't know what it is,or if the other models have it?

500 ST DG.........500 ST DG new version.......500 super DG....

..500 super DG new version

:sad:

charlie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 5:37 PM   #15
Administrator

charlie1 wrote:
Quote:
I have been reading your topic on flashes for the canon 300d,as all of my indoor shots are very under exposed no matter what settings I use.Am I missing something surely canon wouldn't put a flash there if it was useless.
http://revolution.cx/rcx/fecset.htm

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 5:21 AM   #16

Many thanks Jim C, went to your link and altered the FEC and has worked a treat.Has saved me buying an external flash.Thanks agian.Charlie.:-)
charlie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:36 PM   #17
NHL

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
O.K., Now youv'e gotten my attention... Where did you get this information? I called Canon directly on this issue...
The ratio is controlled from the Master unit - ie you can have two 420EX slaves and still set their ratio remotely: http://www.pbase.com/canon550ex/image/23295257

Sorry minutephotos.com to have missed this whole thread over the holidays!

PS You can even do wireless 'Flash Exposure Bracketing' without even touching the slaves
http://www.pbase.com/canon550ex/image/23295260

Quote:
So I did end up doing both after all... (studio and ttl) The TTL flashes are better for on the road, fast easy setup with no power required and simular results.
... Kind of more convenient hey? I knew you would some day (I went through the same...) :G :G :G
Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:02 AM   #18

Quote:
The ratio is controlled from the Master unit - ie you can have two 420EX slaves and still set their ratio remotely
Hey NHL glad to hear from you. O.K. you were right... the wireless ttl is a whole lot easier to cary with you. :-)

Still can't control 420EX. I was told by "Canon" that when using the 420ex in combination with the 580EX the420 would not be smart. To do ratio you need another manual control flash 550,580, sigma. 420ex is only smart ttl when it is physically on the camera.

As you can probaly guess Canon recamended I get another 580ex...

Overall, I like the 580 much better than 420 and they are about the same size.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:18 AM   #19
NHL

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
Still can't control 420EX. I was told by "Canon" that when using the 420ex in combination with the 580EX the 420 would not be smart. To do ratio you need another manual control flash 550,580, sigma. 420ex is only smart ttl when it is physically on the camera.
Exactly!

You don't physically control the 420EX with its rear buttons...

Suppose you have another 420EX (or 550EX, or Sigma, or 580EX, etc...). ie at least two (2) slave remote units (1 in group A and 1 in group B). Their ratio is all controlled from the Master which is on the camera: you dont' set the ratio on the remote locally to each slave. It is set on the master which is on the camera like the prevous link in the manual illustrates - Make sense right? you don't want to be running around to each head(s) which your previous experience with studio strobes lead you to think by habit! :-) :-) :-)

It's much more convenient this way all controlled from where the photographer location is including bracketing and compensation - Capiche? When the camera pre-fires, it pre-fires each head(s) group individually and then measure each head(s) group separately and will control each device to the correct ratio when they last output all at once for the final shot!!!

-> Remember the Master output can be turned off and not contribute to any lighting and only the Slaves do the ratio among themselves - Kind of expensive to use the 580EX in this mode

A stand alone ST-E2 or a similar priced 500DG Super would be cheaper here
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:37 PM   #20

You have some good information here NHL, I will have to set this up and do some tests to see if 420EX in ratio mode is actually changing or shooting the same power all the time.

Also, NHL I saw in another forum you use the Sigma 70-200 F2.8. I was getting readu to purchase Canon 70-200 F4L but would love the faster speed and better brokeh. Is the Sigma truely equal or better thanthe Canon F4.

I plan on ebentually upgrading to 20D but want to get the best lens I can afford first.