Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:01 AM   #21
NHL

Yeap - the ratio works just fine with any E-TTL flash: Just make sure to set each flash on a different group (not different channel), that's how the ratio are controlled from the Master, also group C is the only group that can handle FEC.

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
Also, NHL I saw in another forum you use the Sigma 70-200 F2.8. I was getting readu to purchase Canon 70-200 F4L but would love the faster speed and better brokeh. Is the Sigma truely equal or better than the Canon F4.
FYI - http://www.naturephotographers.net/mg0600-1.html
The Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX HSM is priced right between the Canon f/4 and their f/2.8 - If you do get the 20D in the future, then it has the higher precision AF sensors that only kick in at f/2.8 or larger, so keep that in mind as well...

Are you getting the f/4 because of the price - or that's all you need? If that's all you need then the Sigma 100-300 f/4 is probably one of the sharpest zoom around (it even rates higher than the 70-200 f/4 L): http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelef

Do you still think the Sigma EF500DG Super is a lesser product than the Canon's (even though it costs less and has more features)? Plenty of people here will prove you otherwise including their 70-200 f/2.8 EX - Remember the EX series are Sigma "professional" lines too... IMO it's all about your 'confidence'... Most folks are afraid to step out from the Canon brand - Others just feel 'achieved' because they finally get their 'L''s. I have 'L' lenses for ever even in my old FD non-EOS day, but then I also own Minolta (and lately have collected Nikon bodies as well) - check the Minolta 70-200 f/2.8 for example in the previous link - I don't have any biais, I could easily move to a Nikon the next day :-) :-) :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 1:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Others just feel 'achieved' because they finally get their 'L''s.
I had follen prey to this... I was looking forward to finally stepping up to better qualtiy and I thoght that L-series was the best. I still do if you can afford an l-series f2.8 IS which I can't. So what is the best in a reasonable price?

The main reason I and shying away from F4L is price and speed. You pointed out the tripod collar being extra well its $130 bucks extra plus the carrying case $34.00 plus lens hood also extra to still only have an F4 when for the ssame price I could have an eqully highly rated lens but get an F2.8 and "a better brokeh"

Thanks NHL... this time you really saved me some money and dissapointments as with the 420ex. I think the Sigma will allow me more financial opportunities than the Canon as I am sure there will be times when the faster speed and better brokeh will make a difference.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:33 AM   #23
NHL

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
... I thoght that L-series was the best. I still do if you can afford an l-series f2.8 IS which I can't.
I don't get this - especially from you with your quest for better studio strobes

Photography is all about lighting and composition!

1. Everyone 'want' (not need) IS so they can shoot in the worst lighting possible forgetting the 1st rule of photography - Check the previous link the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS is worst optically than its non-IS version. It even draws more current for the gyro which no one talks about, and finally can you really used IS when your subject move (not the camera movement)? - You already know the value of correct lighting.

2. Yea - seem like everyone 'want' a faster camera so they can shoot at 5 fps throwing out the 2nd rule of photography as well - There's goes the composition part :-)
I sure don't need 5fps: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...49&forum_id=11
... You can be patient and nail it the first time or 'machine gun' the heck until you get it right! I like to observe what I shoot rather that merely squeeze the shutter in the hope of getting it right :?

Am I going crazy and so far out of mainstream or have everyone been bitten by the 'marketing' bug? :idea:

PS Granted there's a few exclusive 'L' which are waterproof and absolutely required when your paycheck depend on them, but in my case I run for cover before my kids get soaked (my significant other can also give me a fit for fooling around in the rain instead of taking care of more important stuffs )
If you really want IS - get a camera with IS built in the body: The cost of one Canon lens alone would finance this camera (plus they have the best 70-200 f/2.8 around!) http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...56&forum_id=87
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Photography is all about lighting and composition!
Well I definately agree on this. I have resisted upgrading to the 20D because i realized I WANT the 20D I don't NEED teh 20D. As a amatter of fact I did just what you said I went in the store and immediately set th ecamera up to do burst mode and machine gunned off a bunch of shots...

Guess what half of them where unclear, I thought how can this be this is the NEW 20D? Well I kew right then I could very well have the same problems with a new camera I am having now.
Quote:
Am I going crazy and so far out of mainstream or have everyone been bitten by the 'marketing' bug? :idea:
I feel the same way sometimes when I see all these people who got the 20D for Christams and have no clue how to use it. This really drives me nuts. PS, I use a tripod even in good light so I wouldn't be a good candidate for IS

As it pertaind to my thought on the Sigma 500 Super I think it is a great flash. In that particular case I think the 580ex had some extra feature I liked and the extra money wasn't to drastic.

However, the Sigam 70-200 2.8 offers quite a few features above the Canon for instance it can autofocus with the 2x extender while the canon can not, plus the light drop with the canon and an extender makes it almost unsable. I could go on and on based on the specs so this is a real no brainer....

I really don't know because I have never used high end Canon stuff, but I have heard sports photographer say it is the best for sports.

Anyway Thanks NHL you are a great asset to these forums and provide accurate info.

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote