Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:40 AM   #1

I have a vintage Hanimex TZ1 flash which is still in good nick and has served me well on my equally vintage SLR.
Now I'm about to buy a digital camera (FZ20), and since I don't want to junk my faithful TZ1 if possible, I wonder if anyone out there would happen to know the TZ1's Trigger Voltage (I don't want to fry my very first Digicam!!!).
I have tried Hanimex (now Fuji) but they can't help.
Thanks in advance.
tnq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2004, 3:51 AM   #2

G'day tnq

Iam also in the process of rigging up favourite flashes with a digital camera [Nikon D70]

There is collector of trigger voltages at http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

It has a Hanimex TZ2 - the voltage is too high - but no details onthe TZ1. An excellent site, it also tells you how to measure your own trigger voltage. If you don't have a multimeter to measure voltage take it to an electrician who would do it in a minute [or Dick Smith might do it].

I use an optically operated slave[*] which detects the camera's flash and sets off any other flash or system of flashes. Since you are using an old flash, TTL flash metering probably doesn't interest you. This system works very well and you have to do some experiementation. Set your camera to manual.
[*] you have to be sure it will not be set off by any pre-flashes from your camera, but only the main flash.

Repost if you want any further information.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 4:40 AM   #3

As "Peanut" states, there's a good possibility that this flash may have too high a voltage for your camera.

You can buy a device called the Wein SafeSync which is supposed to clamp the voltage down to a safe one, but it is about $50USD.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 12:48 AM   #4

Many thanks to "Mikefellh" and "Peanut" (G'day!) for the info - I wasn't too hopeful that there was someone out there with
a TZ1!!! - I'll try the Dick Smith route and if I find out the voltage I will post it to that Botzilla site. Cheers.
tnq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 7:08 PM   #5

Hi guys

Flash trigger voltages is something I did not know about when I started using external flashed on my F717.

I use mainly a Vivitar 2800 and a Fotomatic 700TFZ. I have not yet picked up any problems. Botzilla reports that the Vivitar is rated at 140-170v.

My question is this: How is this voltage determined?
Maxxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:07 PM   #6

Maxxis wrote:
Quote:
My question is this: How is this voltage determined?
In the website above, there is a link how to measure trigger voltage.

Roughly, it's the open voltage at triggering contacts , ie measured with a high impedance voltmeter (a digital will do) , the goal is not to make a voltage drop. If you are able to read the volatge without making the flash bursting, its ok sign (meaning the reading is meaningful)

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:48 PM   #7

Hi - my info is probable too late for you guys, I am a new comer to digital photography and own a TZ1. The trigger voltage is 400 volts, too high for most digital cameras.

Would like to be able to use it as it is a good flash, I am still looking for a solution.
snappyhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:25 AM   #8

snappyhappy wrote:
Quote:
Hi - my info is probable too late for you guys, I am a new comer to digital photography and own a TZ1. The trigger voltage is 400 volts, too high for most digital cameras.

Would like to be able to use it as it is a good flash, I am still looking for a solution.
Use the Wein-Safe mentioned earlier. It steps down the voltage to a usable level. The $50 (US) is far less that a repair
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:48 AM   #9

Thanks Stowaway - probelm is I can't find a supplier for the Wein Safe in Australia
snappyhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:04 AM   #10

actuly it's not as much about the voltaje as it's about the curent...(or both curent & voltage),because in older flashes that have extremly high triger voltage have also high triger curent as the flash gets trigerd..

here is a simple little circuit that you can make at home ,and it can be put inside the flash unit (because it's small, 25x10x8mm,using normal components, i used smd components and got it down to 18x6x8mm) and it will reduce the triger voltaje to about 6 or 3V (depending on batery pack of the flash)

the components cost only 3-4$ and the circuit can be made in 20-45 min...so it'l save you~45$ (as aposed you buy a adaptor)
Attached Files
File Type: txt safe flash triger.txt (2.1 KB, 350 views)
csl1131 is offline   Reply With Quote