Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:30 PM   #1

Is it possible to make this flash fire continuously in the FP (high shutter speed mode). Say for 4 or 5 shots at a shutter speed of above 200.

If anyone has any ideas on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Bobby
BobbyDorough#16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:54 PM   #2
NHL

Once set in the FP mode, the EF-500 DG Super stays in that mode until re-programmed otherwise!

You can shoot as many shots in FP as you want... Is your unit behaving differently?

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 7:46 AM   #3

I think the flash is working correctly. It will fire at any shutter speed in FP mode.
I would like to fire a burst of 4 or 5 shots at a shutter speed of 320 to 350.
I think it will fire this way if you lower the power in manual mode???

I cant fiqure out how to set it up, so i can make it flash with a burst from a 10d at a high shutter speed.

Thanks for the replys,

Bobby
Old Oct 25, 2004, 8:32 AM   #4
NHL

BobbyDorough#16 wrote:
Quote:
I think the flash is working correctly. It will fire at any shutter speed in FP mode.
Correct!
FP is only enabled if the shutter speed exceeds 1/200s. At shutter speed below 1/200s, the flash will fire normally (ie non-FP) even though the symbol 'FP' is still displayed on the LCD panel.

Quote:
I would like to fire a burst of 4 or 5 shots at a shutter speed of 320 to 350.
No problem here, but beware the FP mode actually decrease the output power of the flash by strobing at high-frequency! :sad:

Quote:
I think it will fire this way if you lower the power in manual mode???
Not necessary...
The EF-500DG Super can be left in the automatic TTL mode, and it will work fine with any cameras: Canon, Nikon, or Minolta in their respective TTL modes

Quote:
I cant fiqure out how to set it up, so i can make it flash with a burst from a 10d at a high shutter speed.
In TTL mode, press either the + or - button so the rear LCD cycles between the E-TTL only (no symbol), E-TTL with FP (ie with the FP symbol), or E-TTL with 2nd curtain sync (ie the reverse double arrow symbol)

Also FYI: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...86&forum_id=37

High-Speed (FP) sync are not designed for shooting high-speed! ie even with normal flash without FP will freeze an action and will offer you a much higher reach :?
Old Oct 25, 2004, 9:00 AM   #5

Thanks for the great help, i will work with it some more tonight. I am trying to shoot highschool football at night under the lights. So any help in that area would be great also. I have a 10d with a 70 to 200mm 2.8L lens. Thats was the whole reason for buying this flash.

Thanks agian,

Bobby
Old Oct 25, 2004, 9:12 AM   #6
NHL

Do not use 'FP' you will not be able to get the distance!

Even at lower shutter speed the flash pulse itself will freeze the action. The blur you are getting are from the ambient light combined with the slower shutter speed -> closing the aperture will block the ambient light but you might need to increase the ISO to increase the flash range...
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:10 AM   #7

You are 100% right. I noticed that my flash did not seem like it was reaching that far out!! I was thinking it was all due to my shutter speed being at 320 to 350. I try to always keep my ISO on 800.

I was thinking the flash needed to have FP on with a shutter speed over 200. I feel like i am starting over with photography with this flash:?:?
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:11 AM   #8

Just trying to follow this thread, NHL. It is my understanding that without FP, you must be at 1/200 or slower. Are you saying 1/200 with a regular TTL flash is better than 1/350 with FP? And you should just bump up the ISO to get the best quality while shooting at 1/200?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:39 AM   #9

Yes I was wondering that myself.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 1:48 PM   #10
NHL

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Are you saying 1/200 with a regular TTL flash is better than 1/350 with FP?
Yes!
FP will cut your normal flash burst into smaller and less powerful pulses to follow the camera shutter slit... ie the flash does not go as far: http://www.photozone.de/3Technology/flashtec5.htm

It's designed to work at wide aperture for DOF control at high shutter speed, and up close distances, the opposite of what you guys are trying to achieve! http://eosseries.ifrance.com/eosseri...k_synchfp.html
:O

Quote:
... and you should just bump up the ISO to get the best quality while shooting at 1/200?
The Guide Number (ie its aperture x distance) of a flash is dependent on the ISO setting:
-> on the EF-500DG (or on the camera) go to the ISO screen and increase it with the + button -> you'll see the increased distance on the LCD scale, which you guys can then modulate with the aperture control...

Either that or get that powerhouse fan-cool Metz and it can light up a field :G