Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 25, 2004, 2:12 PM   #1

I've not been satisfied with my flash pictures from DRebel, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's something I'm doing wrong. It doesn't seem to matter if I use the pop-up flash or my 420EZ (hope I got that right), pictures tend to be underexposed. Some shots are pretty good, but on average, most are underexposed.

There is a big difference between the flash shots I've taken on the DRebel and the ones I took on my old digital - a Canon Powershot G2 (using the same mounted flash). The G2's shots are more along the lines of what I expect for exposure.

There also seems to be a lot of inconsistency, mainly with the pop-up. I can take multiple pictures of basically the same scene and the exposures are different. This is when I'm using an auto-setting (like portrait mode). Yesterday, my hubby took a couple of shots of me holding the baby and the first one was waayyyy darker than the second (seems it should be vice-versa). I'm guessing it is just metering off of something different, but we're talking basically the same shot.

The guy at the camera store did show me how to set me auto-focus to only select the middle focus point, as opposed to all, so that might help. I'll try that tonight and see if that makes a difference. In the meanwhile, thought I would ask here to see if anyone had other thoughts/ideas.

Also, could someone clue me in on this "hack" I've seen mentioned on several posts? How in the world does it work? It's something that effects the camera itself? How?? Type slow, I'm pretty new to digital. <G>

Bev
Bev_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2004, 7:06 AM   #2
NHL

This subject has been covered many times...
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...191764#p191764

Put the camera on manual, ie the flash is still on automatic:
1. It will change to centerweighted averaging and won't biais its exposure toward where the AF sensors are located anymore.

2. If you get a flash with manual overide like the Sigma EF-500DG Super you don't need the hack
ie it's controlled from the flash head and much more flexible!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 11:49 AM   #3

Bev_K wrote:
Quote:

Also, could someone clue me in on this "hack" I've seen mentioned on several posts? How in the world does it work? It's something that effects the camera itself? How?? Type slow, I'm pretty new to digital. <G>

Bev
A group of programmers figured out that the 10D and 300D share the same firmware. They then modified the bios for the 300D so that it is accepted by the Rebel but enables the extra 10D features. You are not getting a 10D but you are getting some more features including FEC (Flash exposure compensation) for both the internal flash and the external flashes (like the 420) that don't have a manual override for FEC.

The obvious caveats will apply if you install it. You may void your warrenty. You may damage the camera. If Canon ever comes out with a newer firmware it may be more aggressive in it's turning off features so you may lose those features in the future.

For somebody that is not digital savy youwill probablybe better off with the Sigma as suggested by NHL.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 1:35 PM   #4

Thank you both for the replies!

Bev
Bev_K is offline   Reply With Quote