Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Nov 2, 2004, 1:58 AM   #1

Hello everyone !

I owna Nikon Coolpix 4500 and I´m in the process ofbuying a used Metz 45 CT 4

but haven´t a clue of how to connect them and get syncronization. Does anyone know if there are any solution to this and if so anyidea of where to buy such a cord ?

Regards Hebbe
Hebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:08 AM   #2

Metz has all the information about what flashes to use with what cameras, including SCA adapters, http://www.metz.de/en/

Unfortunately they don't have a match with the Coolpix 4500 with the 45 CT4, they have other Coolpix cameras (with hotshoes) with that flash, and they have other flashes listed with the Coolpix 4500.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 4:50 AM   #3
NHL

Hebbe wrote:
Quote:
I own a Nikon Coolpix 4500 and I´m in the process of buying a used Metz 45 CT 4

but haven´t a clue of how to connect them and get syncronization. Does anyone know if there are any solution to this and if so any idea of where to buy such a cord ?
You need an AS-E900 sync cord that will screw into the 4500 and an AS-15 Hot shoe adapter on the other end. The Metz 45 CT-4 (an excellent flash BTW) will attach to the AS-15 sync terminal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=179153&is=REG
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=37086&is=REG

:|
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 5:44 PM   #4

Hey,a Metz 45 amateur?...

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 12:29 AM   #5

That´s right ! A happy amateur buying the best when it has lost all air in prize. (Also drive a used Corvette BTW)

The suggestions I get to solve the connection are all very expencive. Summes up to welll over 100 $$. In a local shop they suggested I use the Metz as a "slave" (don´t know if that is the correct phrase in english) as I in any way will not get correct meassuring and shutterclosingfrom the camera. Or has this been missunderstod by me ? The shopceaper said that all the special connectioncords will do is to send a signal to the flash to burn and then the flash will do all the messurement it self. Then I ask myself if it wouldn´t be possible to make simple homemade device that connects the end of the flashcord withthe correct (one of three) pole in the plugin for connecting extra flashes in camera. Must I realy buy cord + shoe + shoe ?

Happy for every response even if it´s to tell me I´m an complete fool and/or a cheapskate.

Peter:?:idea::|

Hebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 8:18 PM   #6
NHL

Hebbe wrote:
Quote:
In a local shop they suggested I use the Metz as a "slave" (don´t know if that is the correct phrase in english) as I in any way will not get correct meassuring and shutterclosing from the camera. Or has this been missunderstod by me ? The shopceaper said that all the special connectioncords will do is to send a signal to the flash to burn and then the flash will do all the messurement it self.
The Metz will trigger with a photoeye slave: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=63118&is=REG

... but you'll run into two problems:
1. The CP4500 will try to adjust its flash when the Metz fire at the same time... and the camera has no control over the Metz 45!
2. The Auto Mode in the Metz 45 will try to adjust for the flash coming from the CP4500, but the CP4500 also try to compensate for the Metz...

-> one of the two flashes has to be put on manual: Since you can't do it on the camera you'll have to use fractional power on the Metz so the two system won't fight one another :?
Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:09 AM   #7

Hebbe wrote:
Quote:
The shopceaper said that all the special connectioncords will do is to send a signal to the flash to burn and then the flash will do all the messurement it self.
Yes, he's rite, if the flash is set to A mode ( the aperture dial); in manual (full or partial or winder mode), then there is no measuring at any kind, you calculate your exposure with the GN x X x Y x WXYZ formula :G(which i never dare to use :?)

Hebbe wrote:

Quote:
Then I ask myself if it wouldn´t be possible to make simple homemade device that connects the end of the flashcord withthe correct (one of three) pole in the plugin for connecting extra flashes in camera.
Of course yes

Hebbe wrote:

Quote:
Must I realy buy cord + shoe + shoe ?
Of course no

======

I can suggest you several economic approach , depending on your skill and courage:whack::

1) Buy the Nikon cord , to have the Coolpix proprietary jack connection , then split the wires, find out the good 2 ones, tap it directly to the Metz sync cord , or to a cheap PC sync socket ( not to alter the Metz original cord)

2) Change the Coolpix jack for an more …. economic one :crazy:. Tha's what I did with my 950. It now have a 3 wires TTL Nikon connectivity via a computer PS2 jack ( the mouse / keyboard kind)
Now I connect my 950 to my Nikon ttl compatible flash with a PS-2 mouse cord

---------------

BTW, , if I am rite, the 4500 use the classic ttl protocole as my 950, meaning also that you can get the Nikon module for your Metz and have automatic flash exposure ( the ttl signal from the coolpix control the flash)

Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:31 PM   #8
NHL

KCan wrote:
Quote:
BTW, , if I am rite, the 4500 use the classic ttl protocole as my 950, meaning also that you can get the Nikon module for your Metz and have automatic flash exposure ( the ttl signal from the coolpix control the flash )
IMO you are correct, but it's not a cheapie... which is what our friend here is after :?
Your discrete wiring is probably the most expedient :-):-):-)

BTW KCan have you seen the rebate on that Minolta D7d? Sure beat the D70 hey... !
Old Nov 5, 2004, 1:30 PM   #9

NHL wrote:
Quote:
BTW KCan have you seen the rebate on that Minolta D7d? Sure beat the D70 hey... !
Oh, I didn't know this model , I'll find out
Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:03 PM   #10
NHL

Check out the image at 1/6s handheld @ ISO-3200!
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...m_id=84&page=3

Luminous Landscape just review it and the D7d noise level is even less than the 20D!