Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Nov 19, 2004, 7:26 PM   #1

I have the coolpix 8800 and the SB-600 flash. Whati am looking for is a side-by-side flash bracket for this combo. I am hoping to keep the full features available but need some guidance and advice. Any response will be very much appreciated.

I am just a casual picture taker but am disabled so holding the camera with the flash attached on top is too unwieldy for me to use. At this stage ifthere is no bracket available then maybe there is a strobonar type flash available i could buy. ( and yes i am old enough to have used and loved the old auto-strobonar with a 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 twin lens reflex camera in the 60's.

thanks

john
jmadura is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2004, 9:53 PM   #2

Take a look here for the appro[priate connection accessories:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=58

For side by side, do you mean more then one flash? one can be master and the other one slave, I am not expert in Nikon SB-X00 flash, but I think there is very interresting funtionnal features provision in these flashes.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 9:59 PM   #3

jmadura wrote:
Quote:
and yes i am old enough to have used and loved the old auto-strobonar
Is that the 105? or the 115?
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:45 AM   #4

Ok thanks - I will. I am looking to put a single flash alongside the camera (rather than on top).

john
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:50 AM   #5

There you have me - that was 35 + years ago. I cannot remember the model but do remember the hi-pitched whine signifying charging that stopped when ready and the rock solid ready to go all the time versatility. It was a sturdy - tough gadget back then.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:01 AM   #6

KCam , Can you help me ?. I got my new CP 8800, and I try to use the Nikon Speedlight SB-22s and is not working, the flash git the light but all the photos are dark. is because need to use the new ones S/800/600 ??. From Panama, Carlitin
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 8:58 AM   #7

Carlitin wrote:
Quote:
I got my new CP 8800, and I try to use the Nikon Speedlight SB-22s and is not working, the flash git the light but all the photos are dark. is because need to use the new ones S/800/600 ??. From Panama, Carlitin
Yes, I guess you have to use the new iTTL compatible flashes, unless you can disable the preflash mode on the camera (I don't know if it's possible) and use it as a manual flash

The pics are dark because the SB-22 flashes at the preflash moment, and can not flash at the second moment (themain flash timing)
Old Nov 28, 2004, 12:34 PM   #8

Carlitin wrote:
Quote:
KCam , Can you help me ?. I got my new CP 8800, and I try to use the Nikon Speedlight SB-22s and is not working, the flash git the light but all the photos are dark. is because need to use the new ones S/800/600 ??. From Panama, Carlitin
Yes - the SB22S is designed for film cameras, not for digital. You need a Nikon flash that is geared toward digital.

As for mounting the flash, look here and save yourself some money and added weight.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...392&is=REG

But - with any such bracket, you will need an SC-17 cord to connect the flash to the camera. One end of the cord screws on to the end of the bracket and has a hotshoe to which you mount the flash and the other end of the cord slides into the hotshoe of the camera. If the SC-17 is not available anymore, look for a used one or buy the more expensive SC28 cord. Works the same, but the used 17 should be less money.

Look here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...477&is=REG
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:03 PM   #9

FYI:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP8800/CP88A6.HTM`

QUOTE:
====================================
Flash

The Coolpix 8800 features a built-in, pop-up flash with five modes available, including Auto, Flash Cancel, Anytime Flash, Auto Red-Eye Reduction, Slow-Sync and Rear Curtain Sync. The Slow-Sync option is useful when shooting subjects with darker or dimly-lit backgrounds (such as night scenes) because the camera leaves the shutter open longer, firing the flash before the shutter closes. This allows more ambient light into the image, avoiding the starkly-lit appearance of standard nighttime flash shots. It can also provide a nice motion blur effect. Red-Eye Reduction mode fires a pre-flash before the main exposure, to reduce the reflection from the subject's pupils. Rear Curtain Sync creates a trail of light behind moving subjects.

The top-mounted hot shoe accommodates a more powerful external flash, either a Nikon dedicated unit, or a generic third-party one. According to Nikon's documentation, the Coolpix 8800's hot show is set up to work with Nikon Speedlight models SB-600 and SB-800, and the SC-28 and SC-29 sync cables for off-camera flash. Unlike earlier high-end Coolpix models, Nikon does not seem to support connection of the 8800 to older models of Nikon Speedlights, although I suspect that many of them would provide at least some level of compatibility.

One of the nicest surprises with the Coolpix 8800 though, is that it finally supports the zoom heads on the SB-600/800 external speedlights. (Thank you, Nikon!) As you zoom the 8800's lens with an SB-600 or -800 attached, after each zoom movement (at least, at wide-to-normal focal lengths), you'll hear the zoom motor in the flash head actuate. With a zoom as long as that on the Coolpix 8800 (not to mention the somewhat meager maximum aperture at telephoto of only f/5.2), having the flash focus its output into a narrower cone is a real benefit for telephoto flash photography.

Finally, a major feature of the SB-600/800/Coolpix 8800 combo is that either flash offers true Through The Lens (TTL) flash metering when used with the camera. This is a really significant benefit, particularly with a long-ratio zoom lens, as it makes it possible to get accurate flash exposures, even when zoomed way in on a subject that's a significantly different color/reflectance than the background. Very few prosumer-level digicams offer true TTL flash metering, and even fewer do so when used with external flash units.

One remaining feature that may still seem to be "missing" relative to Nikon speedlights is external-flash-based autofocus assist illumination. Both the SB-600 and SB-800 speedlights incorporate infrared autofocus assist illuminators, which aren't utilized by the Coolpix 8800. While some readers will doubtless wonder why this is the case, use of an IR AF assist light may have fundamental issues, given that the 8800's AF is based on the signal coming from the CCD, and the CCD in the 8800 (like those in most digicams) has an IR filter over it to improve color rendition.

===============================

The curious thing is , if the camera supports Generic third-party flash as affirmed above, you should be able to use your SB-22 as well in manual mode, meaning the flash should gotthe finalfire signal and no preflash signal.
You could write to the author of the article to clarify this if you like.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 6:31 PM   #10

I wonder how that bracket would work with the SB-600. Ideas anyone? I am wondering about how it world work with me holding the flash itself rather than some handle. I do like the less weight idea a lot.

jon