Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Nov 21, 2004, 3:08 AM   #1

Hi, Just a beginner question,

I'm trying to pick an external hotshoe flash for my canon g5 besides the ex series by canon are there any other flashes that will work with 'properly?' with my camera?

I'm currently looking at the sb-24 from nikon and looked at a few of the other pheonix flashs,

my main objective is to do some people pictures and bouncing the flash off the wall,celing or difusser.

thank-you in advnace
goiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2004, 9:53 AM   #2

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/g5_pg2.html

quote:
The G5 is fully compatible with Canon's powerful EX-series Speedlites and E-TTL wireless flash accessories. On top is a flash hot shoe with dedicated TTL contacts for the Canon 220EX, 380EX, 420EX or 550EX automatic speedlights. (550EX shown above on the G3)
----------------------

The best choice is of course a dedicated Canon flash, offering you TTL flash control. Many other flashes (other makes, generic flashes) will "work" in manual and auto mode as well, but you must be in manual exposure. There is no reason to get a Nikon flash for your Canon camera, unless you plan to share it with a Nikon camera.

IMO, get a dedicated Canon flash and save some headache :angry:, of course if it's in your budget. If not, get a good reputed generic flash , there are from Vivitar, Sunpak ...

Oh, forgot: Sigma makes Canon dedicated flash too, check some older threads here

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 3:31 PM   #3

Thank-you for the links and the response, one reason I'm looking at the sb-24 is because I'm consider getting the nikon D70,

I'll look into either the canon or sigma flashes that work with my camera's e-ttl system

thank-you
Old Nov 21, 2004, 3:53 PM   #4

Acutally I'm not too sure if the canon g5 has the E-TTL system or just the TTL system? Can someone pls clarify for me?

thank-you

opps just checked through some websites it says the g5 is e-ttl compatible =)
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:17 PM   #5
NHL

goiku wrote:
Quote:
Acutally I'm not too sure if the canon g5 has the E-TTL system or just the TTL system? Can someone pls clarify for me?
If it's a digital camera it has to be E-TTL (ie need the pre-flash)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:51 PM   #6

opps, heh, ok that makes sense =)

now to decide which difusser to get, omnibounce or the lumiquest i believe....

oh another questions that I wanted to know is will a flash that has ttl not ettl work with the g5 in non manual mode (eg. AV or TV)? I tried out my friend's flash on my camera (old flash that has a canon mode but it doesn't work)

thx
Old Nov 22, 2004, 6:31 AM   #7
NHL

goiku wrote:
Quote:
oh another questions that I wanted to know is will a flash that has ttl not ettl work with the g5 in non manual mode (eg. AV or TV)? I tried out my friend's flash on my camera (old flash that has a canon mode but it doesn't work)
The digital camera need a pre-flash which E-TTL enabled flashes allow:
1. When you press the shutter, the camera fires a preflash and use this burst of light to measure what amount of light will be required (it also compute the white balance if required), before the shutter is opened.
2. When the shutter is finally opened the flash fired a 2nd time with an intensity determined by the original pre-flash determination.

Any compatible old flash (TTL/A-TTL) will only fire at full blast or limited by the flash's manual setting -> eg only the hot-shoe center contact is enabled. The other pins are not used on the flash and are not compatible.

IMO the Lumiquest diffuser is best since it's more flexible and fold flat into a wallet :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:41 AM   #8

ah, i get it now, thanks for the clarification