Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:32 PM   #1

sigma flash user,pls help

i just tried out two same model of this flash serial no is 7016810 &7016813. the flash is excellent ,could be better than the 550ex but.......
anyone encounter this problem below:
Pls help.

1)i keep shooting ,zooming in & out the len,the flashes suddenlystop flashing with the ??mm on the lcd of the sigma flash blinking.

2)next, the same as above, but this time the flash head got sound like a machine gun ,soft sound and could not flash any more

TO solve this problem,i had to off the flash and on it ,this occoured almost as often as 50 images once.anyone had this problem,pls help.

Kid of sad,as i ried with the 420 ex and does not havve this kind of problem.

Regretted having this, the sigma technician tested this and said there was no problem with the flash.but i do a few test and still the same!!!

Anyone with this problem or any advice,pls leave me a message.
Hopefully the new shipment of this flash solve the problem.

Pray hard and will keep u nform of the latest news
Pls direct all your reply to [email protected]

need advice urgently.If not may have to get the 580ex ,but its on the high side.
studiolabmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 1:01 PM   #2
NHL

Have you try with another set of new batteries or freshly charged NiMh (to isolate a power source problem)?

BTW are they EF500DG Super?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:29 AM   #3

:?yap, new batteries also the same,i did tried with the alkaline batteries too.

the problem could not be resolve even by our local sigma technicians.............

They have so call,tested this two flashs and found no problem?????

But to me,the problem is still tere,hope that there will no such problem whne i get the 2nd shipment flash,it would be great!!!!
Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:35 AM   #4

yes ,they are the ef 500dg super eo-ettl for the canon.latest in singapore from sigma. The box is in black and red.very nice but cosmetic & shape of this flash is very lousy,but the flash exposure is better than the Canon 420ex,!!!Very true cos i ownthe 420ex,pretty limited to the zoom flash,no mznual zoom.i hear that it is better than the canon 550ex!!!!!!!\

Also if this 2 problem is solved ,this flash is as good as 550ex and 580ex which cost about Sin$750.

Its half the price.

may god bless Sigma.............:-)
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:18 AM   #5
NHL

I also have 2 Sigma's EF-500DG slaved to my 550EX, and they work OK... No problem yet for the past 18 months
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:10 AM   #6

studiolabmaster wrote:
Quote:
2)next, the same as above, but this time the flash head got sound like a machine gun ,soft sound and could not flash any more
My guess is a mechanical problem (zoom head gear and rack )
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 1:20 PM   #7

I just got a Sigma 500 DG Super and so far everything works as it should. But I have a few general questions. When I operate in ETTL mode and full auto on the 10D the Sigma Flash makes a sound like small grear motor, is this normal and why would a flash have a motor assembly in it?

Next question: If I turn on the flash and it charges then is ready to fire but I don't end up taking a picture should I discharge the unit (test button) or just turn it off? Are there pros & cons?

Thank you, Pat

pclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:49 PM   #8

The motor sound is a focus motor in the flash head. It tris to match its output beam to the focal length of the lens you are using. The 500DG Super can vary its beam to match a 28mm to a 105mm lens. For longer lenses it uses the 105mm setting and you loose some light to spill. Also the 500DG has a built in wide angle diffuser in its head, just pull it out for a wider light dispersion.

Your second question, even if you push the test button, the flash capacitors will probably be recharged by the time you manage to turn it off. Should not be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclements
I just got a Sigma 500 DG Super and so far everything works as it should. But I have a few general questions. When I operate in ETTL mode and full auto on the 10D the Sigma Flash makes a sound like small grear motor, is this normal and why would a flash have a motor assembly in it?

Next question: If I turn on the flash and it charges then is ready to fire but I don't end up taking a picture should I discharge the unit (test button) or just turn it off? Are there pros & cons?

Thank you, Pat

[/quote]
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:31 PM   #9

pclements wrote:
Quote:
...should I discharge the unit (test button) or just turn it off? Are there pros & cons?
The off button has it's purpose, you don't have to worry further. The capacitor will discharge itself in a few minutes due the natural leakage of a electrochemical capacitor.
But if you intend to … open the flash (I mean dismantle it to play inside), then it's imperative to discharge it , just after taken out the battery if possible.
A charged high voltage capacitor is very dangerous to handle; you can take a shock:shock: , or if it's shortened , it can blow off (a big Paff) and you may got chemical at your face/eyes .

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:46 AM   #10

Thank you PeterP & KCan, does the flash unit use infared to focus? And forgive me, if the flash is in ETTL mode and comunicating with the camera should it not be able to get the focus value thru the from the camera? I am just interested in the how and why a flash needs to focus.

KCan, thank you for the safety warning I have no interest in dimantling the flash so I will not be touching the electronic componets. I do remember from somewhere in my past learning about the stored energy in capacitors. I will not worry about discharging it before putting it away.

Thanks again, Pat
pclements is offline   Reply With Quote