Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:41 PM   #11

Could someone please point me to a sync cord for my Pana FZ-10 for that handle KCan linked?

So basically that handle mounts to the tripod adapter, the flash to the hotshoe, and the sync cord from camera to handle, which then is linked to flash, and tells it when to fire?
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:56 AM   #12

tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:
Could someone please point me to a sync cord for my Pana FZ-10 for that handle KCan linked?

So basically that handle mounts to the tripod adapter, the flash to the hotshoe, and the sync cord from camera to handle, which then is linked to flash, and tells it when to fire?
The handle only holds the flash unit...you only need a sync cord from your camera to the flash. Paramount makes them for all types of configurations. B&H or Adorama will be good sources for them.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 9:48 AM   #13

Thanks for the info.

What I meant is that the handle attaches to the camera through that slotted beam, then the flash attaches to the top of the handle. The sync cord then attaches to the flash (or handle), I'm not sure which one.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 1:35 PM   #14

tacticalnuke,
You are almost done

You need 2 more items :

1) PC to Hot-Shoe Adapter
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...414&is=REG

This will seat between the handle and the flash, mechanically hold the flash and provide a connection.

2) Hot Shoe to PC Adapter
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...453&is=REG

This will give you a PC connection from the camera hotshoe. You put this on the camera hotshoe, and plug the first item's cord in the jack on the side.

Nikon have a combined extension cord but it's more expensive because it's dedicated (with contacts you never use anyway)

http://www.adorama.com/NKSC28.html

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 3:56 PM   #15

I'm very confused now, but thank you for bearing with me.

Let's see if I get this.

I buy 4 items (or is it 3?)

Flash hot shoe -> pc adapter sits on top of camera

PC->hotshoe attaches to handle, flash mounts on hotshoe end, cable connects to the adapter mounted on the camera

The handle mounts to the tripod thread, then attached as above.

Do I need a sync cord or is that one that connects the two adapters? So basically the bottom end of the flash hot shoe -> pc adapter is the only functional end, then it has a plug-in for the pc->hot. Then the pc->hot bottom end just attaches to the handle (not functional) and the cable connects to the hot->pc mount on the camera, receives the signal, tells flash to fire?

Whew, did I get it?

My other question is why does it look like the handle has a hot shoe?

Thank you very much for all the help KCan.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:56 PM   #16

tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:
I buy 4 items (or is it 3?)
It's 3 item total:

1) PC->hotshoe attaches to handle, flash mounts on hotshoe end, cable connects to the adapter mounted on the camera >> right, that's item #1 on my above post.

This item is sandwiched between the handle "female hot shoe" and your flash "male hotshoe" and include a cord terminated with a PC plug

2) Flash hot shoe -> pc adapter sits on top of camera >> Right, this is item #2 on my above post, it convert your camera hotshoe to a PC jack

3) The bracket itself

tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:
Do I need a sync cord or is that one that connects the two adapters?
No, item #1 include a short cord with the plug

tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:
So basically the bottom end of the flash hot shoe -> pc adapter is the only functional end, then it has a plug-in for the pc->hot. Then the pc->hot bottom end just attaches to the handle (not functional) and the cable connects to the hot->pc mount on the camera, receives the signal, tells flash to fire?

Whew, did I get it?
Now you confuse me :G

The contact signal go throughitem 1, themvia the cord of item2, then through item 2 to the flash hotshoe.

tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:
My other question is why does it look like the handle has a hot shoe?
Yes, it's right. But it's only a pure mechanical holder, there is no electrical provision. Some bracket infact have a real electrical hotshoe (olympus bracket)
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:02 PM   #17

I have 2 pics showing everything apart, then mounted, but somehow I can't attach them here
Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:18 AM   #18

KCan, thank you VERY VERY much for all the additional help. You have no idea how much I appreciate it. Merry Christmas.

I'm going to go order those three things now, thanks again.

The total is $50 and should be here in 2 days. The flash I'll get for Christmas and I'll be rocking. Then I can check out some bouncers and softeners.

This is going to be fun. :G
Old Dec 18, 2004, 8:59 PM   #19

Happy shopping and Good luck to you

FYI: 2 pics showing separate items and mounted together:

Attached Images

Old Dec 21, 2004, 3:41 PM   #20

Problem, the PC->Hotshoe (mounted on flash bracket) does NOT fit tightly. It is extremely loose.

I called my local store to see if they carry any and they're out. They do carry a $12 flash bracket, I'll see if that works (although it's far away, don't know if I want to drive there).

I also talked to the store and they said that a flip bracket is better. However, he was just trying to sell me something (I don't know much about cameras, but I'm no idiot).

What was he talking about KCan?

I really want to use the flash bracket as I think it's a wonderful idea, especially for handheld portraits. I'm just really frustrated.

I could always ghetto it to make it fit tightly, but that's a pain. I'm just not real keen on spending $30 + shipping on that stupid part that should fit in the first place.

I get the run-around everywhere I go. I need some honest advice from someone with no reason to rip me off.

He said I'll get horrible shadows with the flash mounted to the side, which I think is bullocks. I know you know your stuff, but I'm just wondering, always interested in learning.

Anyway, it looks like I may just return the whole thing unless I can get this figured out easily. B&H has this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=89977&is=REG

Which the guy said would screw down and be sure to mount on the handle. Two problems: it's expensive and now I have to waste money returning this one that I have.

I'm wondering if that one will even fit on my bracket, I can take a picture if necessary.

Well, throw some ideas out there, I'm pretty frustrated (not your fault, stupid B&H is going to get one heck of a bad resellrratings). I can't believe that sell stuff that does not fit together that should. I'm going to have my 2nd day air shipping refunded or they're going to see my evil side. :evil:

Well KCan, what're you ideas?

The PC->Hot is tapped for a screw at the bottom, but the flash bracket has no screw hole underneath its attachment to hold the pc->hot, and I don't have the capabilities to drill 1/4 inch metal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=109448&is=REG

It looks like this bracket, unlike mine, has metal to "hold" the pc->hot much like the pc->hot has metal to hold the sunpak flash. I may go with this and return my other bracket, forcing B&H to pay my return shipping.

I could then get this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=109454&is=REG

And thus have a Kaiser Hot->PC (have it now) and pc->hot (this) then a hama flash bracket. However, all this is drastically increasing the price. I'm not sure it's even worth it at this point.

UPDATE:

I got an RMA # and will have everything refunded (including shipping, they were nice about that, I just had to explain that I paid air shipping so I'd have it for Christmas, and now it's being refunded). I'm going to try the flash without this stuff, then buy local if I go for it. I just don't want to mess around anymore. I've learned my lesson about buying online and buying less expensive items.

The Kaiser hot->pc does get credit for fitting snugly and being properly designed. The other stuff was just terrible.

If I decide I need this I'll go name-brand like Kaiser and Hama.

Thanks for all the help everyone!