Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 12, 2004, 1:01 PM   #1

I own a Panasonic FZ-10. I will be getting a Sunpak 383 soon . Now, I use the camera for many things, but want the flash for sporting events. So, my question is, since I'll be using telephoto (more often than not) do I need a "telephoto flash adapter"?

Thanks for the help.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...list&sku=52968

Something like that.

Also, do I need a bounce add-on?:

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/fr...86353003&rf=dt

And one more, what are the filter kits for the flashes and what do they do?
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2004, 2:23 PM   #2

The telephoto flash adapter may help you by narrowing the flash beam, but how efficient, depends on the optical quality. Do not expect to much. I can`t see any specsabout the product.

About the second article , you will be better with this:

http://www.lumiquest.com/
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 7:11 PM   #3

Thank you for the link. I'm going to play around with the flash some, then bring te setup to a store that carries those products you linked to and give it all a shot. Thanks again.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 3:27 PM   #4

I found a store around here that carries the full line of LumiQuest products. I'm still not a very "expert amateur" photographer, but I realize that the onboard flash is terrible, hence the Sunpak 383.

Now, I plan on going to the store and trying everything out. However, as far as versatility, any recommendations on what is best?

Since most of my shooting will be sports/wildlife/outdoor or indoor with low ceilings, I figure one or two add-ons would be nice. The 80/20 looks particularly well-suited to my needs, especially with the inserts. I just want to be able to illuminate people indoors and "fill" the background.

Now, for sports, should I go bare-flash or would a soft-box be a good idea?

Also, for indoor shooting is an 80/20 enough for people shots or would something else be better.

And finally, for outdoor people shots what would be best? Bare bulb (so to speak) it or go with a softener? If a softener, which one?

Obviously I can test indoor shooting at the store, but it'll be kind of hard to test sports shooting or outdoor people shooting in the store.

Further, I don't want to have to sacrifice my testicles for flash accessories so I'd be limited to a maximum of 2 accessories (most likely). Thus, what would be the most important 2?
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:21 PM   #5

tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:
... or indoor with low ceilings, I figure one or two add-ons would be nice. The 80/20 looks particularly well-suited to my needs, especially with the inserts. I just want to be able to illuminate people indoors and "fill" the background.

I do not use those products, but I think that's a good choice for indoor, people close shoting

tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:
Now, for sports, should I go bare-flash or would a soft-box be a good idea?

Also, for indoor shooting is an 80/20 enough for people shots or would something else be better.

And finally, for outdoor people shots what would be best? Bare bulb (so to speak) it or go with a softener? If a softener, which one?

IMO, softbox for outdoor sports is not a good idea simply because you won't have enough power

tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:
Further, I don't want to have to sacrifice my testicles for flash accessories so I'd be limited to a maximum of 2 accessories (most likely). Thus, what would be the most important 2?
2 item? my personnal choice would be a handle bracket and a medium bouncer, and of course, don't sacrifice your treasure :G

http://www.lumiquest.com/lq941.htm
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:34 PM   #6

What is a handle bracket?

Assuming that's the thing that you use to attach the flash to the tripod, the thing is I have no tripod.

I should have clarified on sports. I meant swimming pool/basketball court/etc. Outdoors I don't plan on flashing.

That midi bouncer looks interesting. I'll have to try that out.

Thank you for all the help, KCan. I want to go to the store armed with knowledge and leave with a couple good products (and my trusty testicle sidekicks).

I'm open to other products as well, I'll just have to see what the store has. However, I'm looking at LumiQuest because I know the store has them, and I want to get an idea of what's out there.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:21 AM   #7

tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...284&is=REG

it puts the flash away from the camera, and adds stability to the ensemble ( but then you needs a sync cord also, I forgot to count this :G)

Also, sometimes, store have interesting articles in the used equipment department.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:10 AM   #8

I've used both the Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer and their Softbox attached to a Vivitar 285HV. Although I normally set everything up on a handle bracket, I ususally take the flash off the bracket and hold it out high & to one side.

This image was made using the pocket bouncer:

This was made using the softbox:
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:27 AM   #9

KCan wrote:
Quote:
tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...284&is=REG

it puts the flash away from the camera, and adds stability to the ensemble ( but then you needs a sync cord also, I forgot to count this :G )

Also, sometimes, store have interesting articles in the used equipment department.

Since that's item three it's going to cost a testicle, but I think I can still function with one, so I'll look into it.

On a more serious note, I'm going to look into that handle bracket when I go to the store. I may just get a softbox or bouncer, then the bracket thingamadoodle. Thank you all very much for the help. Now all I need is the flash and it's time to shop.

Those're some nice pics Kalypso. A question, though: which item would you recommend. Considering I'm not much more than a low-level amateur photographer, I don't know much about flash acc. So, I'd like a little advice on what the best thing would be. I really like those shots. Is there any reason you didn't use the softbox on the first one, or likewise the pocket bouncer on the second?

That handle thing is pretty cheap, plus a sync cord it should stay under $20. As such I may be able to pull off two accessories and a handle like that, we'll have to see. Thank you all again very much for the help.

Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:39 AM   #10

The first one was shot in total darkness & the bouncer provided more defined shadows (which I wanted). The second one was shot in a large warehouse with diffused light throughout. I wanted a softer light (& also placed a cheap slave flash behind her in the old elevator).