Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:37 PM   #1

I have had a Canon Powershot G3 for a little over a year and just purchased a Canon 420EX flash. The problem is the flash does not seem to work with the camera although the Canon literature says you just attach and shoot. The pictures are all very dark and I don't believe the pre-flash isgoing off in order to evaluate the light. I also have a Canon Rebel 2000 and the flash works fine on this camera. I have not been able to find any settings to change on the flash or the camera. Any suggestions out there for a frustrated user?Thanks.
smankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:59 AM   #2

To add more information... I spoke with Canon customer support and described my problem. They feel the G3 has a problem with its hotshoe and I would need to send the camera in for a repair estimate. The camera is out of warranty - I bought it in May of 2003 but have not tried an external flash until now. They suggested cleaning the hotshoes contacts with an eraser (which I did) and also to remove the camera battery for at least an hour to reset the camera (which I also did). Neither suggestion helped with the poor light evaluation and dark pictures, though. Since Christmas is about over I guess I will just send it in if there are no reponses or suggestions from others. Is a hotshoe difficult to replace? I have some technical background but I am not a camera technician. Thanks.
smankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:42 AM   #3
Administrator

If you've got a store nearby that sells Canon products, you may want to try bringing your camera and flash to see if they'd let you try another 420EX on your camera to rule out the flash. Just because it works on one model doesn't mean that'sit's not defective (there may be some differences in the way E-TTL was implemented between models).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 12:42 PM   #4

I have a Canon Powershot G3 and just purchased a Canon 420EX flash.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The problem is the flash does not make the pre-flash.

In the beginin works very well with that camera, but now...

Only work at full power, never make the pre-flash again

Sorry, my english is very poor.

Luis, from Paraguay.
Mr Canon is offline   Reply With Quote