Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 6, 2005, 3:21 AM   #11

If the Nikon Speedlight SB-24 works well with the FZ10, is it logical to assume a Promaster 5900 with standard module will work alright, also? I know trigger voltage won't be an issue.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 3:31 AM   #12

By the way, I just picked up a Minolta Maxxum 5 35mm SLR and would like to use the Promaster 5900 with it, also. I'm having a bit of a problem figuring out which module works with the Maxxum 5. Any ideas on which module to use and a good place to buy it? Thanks.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 6:30 PM   #13

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
If the Nikon Speedlight SB-24 works well with the FZ10, is it logical to assume a Promaster 5900 with standard module will work alright, also?
Yes, I think so
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:48 PM   #14

KCan wrote:
Quote:
lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
Is the biggest disadvantage of flashes like the SB24, when compared to the Panasonic flash which was made for the FZ series, that the flash intensity can't be adjusted? If so, how does someone work around this? Thanks.
If you are talking about the FL-28, curiously, I can't find it's specs anywhere.
By the picture, we can say it's a non-dedicated flash (absence of dedicated pin on the hotshoe) I think that there is no dedicated Panasonic flash , and Panasonic cameras are not designed to make use of a dedicated flash IMO.
But there are some sort of sensor in the front of the flash. It's possible that the camera switch to a certain setting when a flash in mounted and the flash itself is on auto mode with the matching aperture? It's just my speculation. I remember also I saw somewhere that a model of Panasonic camera has microswitch under one of the hotshoe rails to detect the presence of an external flash.

You are correct in your assumption. Thereare 3 photo-receptorson the front of the Panasonic DMW-FL28 flash.One near the flash tube, an auto photo-receptor for close up (macro)recording. This sensorsets the flash intensity based on available light.

The other two sensors are lower on the front. The top sensor is a slave photo-receptor, for using as a slave flash. Thelower sensor isan auto photo-receptor for regular recording. This sensor setsthe flash intensity based on available light.

Also supplied with the flash (which is not shown in the picture) is a diffuser which attaches over the flash tube for close up (macro)recording. When not used, it sits above the flash tube. A very clever design.

You are also correctabout the microswitch. It isunder the right side rail of the hotshoe. When the camera isset on auto mode and the flash is attached, the camera automatically sets up at f2.8 and 1/60 shutter. Setting the flash to auto mode utilizesthe lower photo-receptor to determine the proper amount of flash.

Thereare alsoauto macro,manual, and slavesettings on the flash. I do notuse the macro function very often, but I assume the same thing happens with both the camera and the flash set to macro mode.

I have been very pleased with the capabilities of this flash.I recently took pictures in a friends attic with one 60 watt bulb illuminating the entire, very largespace. When I transfered the pictures to my computer I was amazed at howgood they were. The pictures were very crisp and the exposure was right on.
Attached Images

Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:21 PM   #15

Thanks Rookie for the informations and precisions.
It means also that this flash is not ttl controled , although offering very interesting possibilities.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 2:19 PM   #16

I have the FZ20 and I have a Canon Speedlite 380EX dedicated flash. It does not seem to have any manual settings for aperture or ISO and always fires full power on my FZ20. Looks like I should get the Sunpak 383 as I saw many recommendations for it , or maybe a dedicated Panasonic flash. Any recommendations?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 11:44 PM   #17

...it seems impossible to find the sunpak 383...:sad:
junji98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:56 AM   #18

First post, so please bear with me on the multiple questions.
Can I use my Vivitar 3500 that I used on my CannonAE-1 years ago?
The flash has the module for the AE-1, so will that be a help or hindrance?
Will the voltage on the flash be OK?Thanks in advace for any info.
VTRotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 1:03 PM   #19

VTRotts wrote:
Quote:
First post, so please bear with me on the multiple questions.
the purpose of forums is to answer questions :G

VTRotts wrote:
Quote:
Can I use my Vivitar 3500 that I used on my CannonAE-1 years ago?
Absolutely

VTRotts wrote:
Quote:
The flash has the module for the AE-1, so will that be a help or hindrance?
Depends with what camera, with the AE-1, it's perfect , with a digicamera (with hotshoe) , you can always use the flash in manual and auto mode (aperture setting, if available).

VTRotts wrote:
Quote:
Will the voltage on the flash be OK?Thanks in advace for any info.
Yes, check yourself at:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
Old Feb 27, 2005, 1:06 PM   #20

junji98 wrote:
Quote:
...it seems impossible to find the sunpak 383...:sad:
I remember seing somewhere that it's Quantaray now making this model.