Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:38 PM   #21

KCan wrote:
Quote:

VTRotts wrote:
Quote:
Can I use my Vivitar 3500 that I used on my CannonAE-1 years ago?
Quote:

Absolutely

VTRotts wrote:
Quote:
The flash has the module for the AE-1, so will that be a help or hindrance?
Quote:

Depends with what camera, with the AE-1, it's perfect , with a digicamera (with hotshoe) , you can always use the flash in manual and auto mode (aperture setting, if available).
Quote:
I want to use this flash on my FZ-20.
Quote:
VTRotts wrote:
Quote:
Will the voltage on the flash be OK?Thanks in advace for any info.
Quote:

Yes, check yourself at:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
Quote:
I saw that website, but the answer was yes(?) so I was/am a little hesitant. I'd hate to fry a $500+ camera because I was to cheap to get a new flash. Thanks for your fast reply.
VTRotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:04 PM   #22

VTRotts wrote:
Quote:
Iwant to use this flash on my FZ-20.
It's ok

VTRotts wrote:

Quote:
I saw that website, but the answer was yes(?) so I was/am a little hesitant. I'd hate to fry a $500+ camera because I was to cheap to get a new flash. Thanks for your fast reply.
You are welcome. The anwser is Yes, with 6 v trigger voltage, it's more than safe, no doubt.

My flash cost more than the camera itselfat it's present value , and will probably last longer than the camera :G. A flash doesn't need to be recent to be good. A veryfew new cheap flash has high trigger voltage as well.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:24 PM   #23

I use the Vivitar 283 & 285 with my FZ20 and find both work well. You have to be careful to get one with safe trigger voltage - especially with the 283. Both have a range of intensities that work well with anything from macro to tele applications.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:12 PM   #24

Justwonder if the flash guns nowadays are all suitable for FZ20?(i.e. low trigger voltage)

Is there any powerful flash gun that has similar features (such as 3 photo-receptors, user friendly mode dial, etc.)as the Panasonic one?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Swansea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:18 AM   #25

A sunpak 422D dedicated to Canon, made in 1981, can work fine with my FZ20??? Is any problem with a so older flash??
Thanks.
fmalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 4:49 AM   #26

Although the Manual said that any strobe with trigger voltage less than 24V can be used, I just wonder if anyone has ever asked the dealer aboutthe max tolerated trigger voltage?
Old Mar 28, 2005, 10:03 AM   #27

I've recently bought a digital multimeter. I set the FUNCTION switch to DCV "200" position and then connected the test leads to the "positive" and "negative" of the hotshoe. The reading was "12.0". Could anyone confirms ifthe saidprocedure is correct and if the trigger voltage of my old strobe is 12V? Is 12V too high for FZ20?:?
Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:15 AM   #28

Does the panasonic FL28 perform as well as the 383?I don't mind spending the extra money to get the matching flash for the FZ20.I understand the pana flash is smaller in size,which imo is better.Can you manually set the flash strength on the FL28?Do they both have the same guide numbers or close enough to where my amateur eyes won't see the difference?I know you can't swivel the head to bounce of the ceiling when shooting portraits,but are there any other disadvantages to owning the FL28?
gellis1 is offline   Reply With Quote