Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 3, 2005, 6:43 PM   #1

i have a quantaray qtb 9500a flash from my minolta 35mm i would like to use it on my fz20. the voltage is good i just need some information on the settings that i need to use and if i need to purchase the manual module instead of the af module. please provide any info it would be greatly appreciated
journeywme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:56 AM   #2

If the FZ20 is like the FZ10, the external flash is set to preset or manual. In preset, the camera automatically sets to F2.8, 1/60, ISO 100. The hot shoe is not TTL. Go to the Panasonic Forum and searchfor more ifo.
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:06 PM   #3

journeywme wrote:
Quote:
...if i need to purchase the manual module instead of the af module. please provide any info it would be greatly appreciated
IMO, If you have already the AF module, it should work also on manual mode and auto mode if the flash has it, as other generic flashes.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:18 PM   #4
JKA

I am getting a Nikon SB-24 speedlight for my Panasonic FZ10 as the main flash mounting on the hotshoe. Do you think it is a good match?

Thank you very much for your comment!
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:53 PM   #5

JKA wrote:
Quote:
Do you think it is a good match?
Technically speaking, the SB-24 will be as good match as many other generic flash; you will be able to use it in A mode (non-ttl auto) and M mode; off course, no ttl, no AF assist.

Old Jan 16, 2005, 2:40 PM   #6

Is the biggest disadvantage of flashes like the SB24, when compared to the Panasonic flash which was made for the FZ series, that the flash intensity can't be adjusted? If so, how does someone work around this? Thanks.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 6:08 PM   #7

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
Is the biggest disadvantage of flashes like the SB24, when compared to the Panasonic flash which was made for the FZ series, that the flash intensity can't be adjusted? If so, how does someone work around this? Thanks.
If you are talking about the FL-28, curiously, I can't find it's specs anywhere.
By the picture, we can say it's a non-dedicated flash (absence of dedicated pin on the hotshoe) I think that there is no dedicated Panasonic flash , and Panasonic cameras are not designed to make use of a dedicated flash IMO.
But there are some sort of sensor in the front of the flash. It's possible that the camera switch to a certain setting when a flash in mounted and the flash itself is on auto mode with the matching aperture? It's just my speculation. I remember also I saw somewhere that a model of Panasonic camera has microswitch under one of the hotshoe rails to detect the presence of an external flash.

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
how does someone work around this? Thanks.
If you are wondering about adjusting (automatically or manually) the flash intensity, generic flash does this as well. You can use manual partial power (labeled as ½, ¼ , etc …) or auto mode (labeled in term of F stop : F4, F5.6, etc …)

Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:34 PM   #8

KCan wrote:
Quote:
I think that there is no dedicated Panasonic flash , and Panasonic cameras are not designed to make use of a dedicated flash IMO.
rectification: Infact I was wrong. Panasonic has dedicated flash for certain model, the LC1 for example:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/lc1_pg2.html
Quote:
The built-in flash opens to two positions -- bounce flash at 65° or fully extended. The flash hotshoe accepts optional external flash units and provides full TTL control of the optional Panasonic DMW-FL28 flash, Leica SF-20 / SF-24D and is Metz SCA 3502 compatible.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:23 AM   #9
JKA

I am very happy to report that the Nikon Speedlight SB-24 works very well with my FZ10.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:29 PM   #10

anyone know where to buy a sunpak 383 in toronto or the GTA? thanks!

junji98 is offline   Reply With Quote