Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Nov 6, 2002, 8:11 PM   #1

Default White shiny faces on close-up shots of people- Why?

Can anyone tell me why I sometimes get real white shiny faces when I take closeup pics of people. And other times the faces are very good and natural looking. These are all flash pics taken with Dimage 7 and Minolta 3600 flash.
Paul Rothel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2002, 4:08 AM   #2

Well hello.
I am not a flash expert. Use mine internal flash of sony 707 since a view months but:

The faces probably reflect too much light back to the ccd-chip. All white/light surfaces do so.
A way to solve this is the differt/diffuse the flash.
How: -1 use a light translument paper and place it before the flash.
-2 If you have an external flash, point it towards the ceiling, a wall and not on the subject. Flash will now be smoother.

I have maded for my sony a plexiglass plate that fits around the lens. 2-3 cm above, and 4-5 under the lens. With this 'diffuser' i have very smooth/soft flash colors. In macromode i have no shadow what so ever.
good luck.
fterhaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2002, 8:12 AM   #3

This is an idea if you use flash pretty close to the subject

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3665
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 10:22 AM   #4

I agree with fterhaar.

Never point a flash directly in someones face. You will get blown up highlight. The shiny thing that often are seen in portraits comes from the skins natural grease - thats why models uses powder ind the face before a session. And if aunt Lilly shines when you photograph her - she has prob. creamed up her face to look georgeous to you and all the rest. But not on a photo.

So always bring a bag of flower..he he :lol: :lol:

No point the flash toward the ceeling, away from the object or use a diffuser in front of the lens. Or a reflectionsscreen...There are many possibillities.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 5:09 AM   #5

Well I've seen similar results with built in flash (which don't occur so much with point and shoot film). I'm wondering if this problem is also related to digital's lack of dynamic range for light handling. I notice internal flash pics. are generally flatter and tend towards under exposure, sometimes with the highlight burn mentioned.

Adding external flash won't resolve the problem if more light is pushed close up, burn will get worse. Diffusion is a good suggestion but will reduce output over the wider area. It will also help multi-segment auto metering - but won't it take away contrast unless there is more light, i'e from an external unit?

I'm wondering if changing to centre weighted exposure metering for these close up people shots might help as well. I'll try this out on some indoor flash shots.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 1:07 PM   #6

Make up consideration:
Human faces naturally produce grease , varies with individuals; using the proper kind of cosmetic powder (“matte”, “greasy-skin” …) should help for close-ups.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 3:36 PM   #7

Difficult to tell your best friends they need a make up makeover to sort out their greasy skin though?

Do digicams need to squirt something out, just before the redeye and main flash?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote