Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:12 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2
Default

I've been searching for a good flash for my Fuji s602. I've navigated through all the misinformation about trigger voltages, arrived at the proper number and am now trying to work around the fact that the camera carries only a single-pin, non-tll hot shoe.

I came across the Vivitar DF200 (http://www.vivitar.com/Products/Flas...ash.html#DF200), which serves as a slave to your camera's integral flash. This being the case, this flash couldbe used even with the camera in full auto mode. Still, I'd really like to go without using the integral flash at the same time. A theoretical solution would be to put a small strip of electrical tape over the bulb of the integral flash leaving the sensor uncovered.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone used this flash? Your thoughts?

2. Does anyone have any constructive comments on my idea involving the electrical tape?

3. Are there any other flashes, adapters or other advices, which could be used with the Fuji s602 and another flash (e.g. the Vivitar 285) and either a) slave out the external flash to work with the integral flash or b) function as an automatic flash on it's own without being in concert with the integral flash?

Sorry if that last question is poorly worded.

Thanks in advance. I am always amazed at the knowledge of the people on this board which is matched only by thier willingness to share it.

-M
tofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:22 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
KCan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,625
Default

tofu wrote:
Quote:
1. Has anyone used this flash? Your thoughts?
I did not

tofu wrote:

Quote:
2. Does anyone have any constructive comments on my idea involving the electrical tape?


Ican't see your point really, could you explain more your goal?

tofu wrote:

Quote:
3. Are there any other flashes, adapters or other advices, which could be used with the Fuji s602 and another flash (e.g. the Vivitar 285) and either a) slave out the external flash to work with the integral flash or b) function as an automatic flash on it's own without being in concert with the integral flash?


You don't need any adapter to use a generic flash as the 285 and many more, just be carful about the trigger voltage. They will operate in manual and auto (aperture) mode .

==============

Anyway, if you don't have and do not plant to use a flash with another camera without hotshoe, there is no advantage to get an optical slave flash.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:13 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks for taking time to help me with my questions!

Here's my goal, in terms of using an external flash with my Fuji s602.

I want to be able to use an external flash with the camera in full automatic mode (auto focus, preflash, pulse time, etc) and I would like to be able to do so without the s602's integral flash emitting any light. Does this make sense?

An easy solution to this, or so it seems, would be to purchase the DF200 Digital Flash (which follows the actions of the integral flash which follows the cameras commands in full auto mode) and place a piece of electrical tape over the bulb of the camera's integral flash. This should allow me to get light only from the external flash and still use the full auto mode when I need/want to. Does this make sense?

I'm pretty confident it will function the way I want to. I was just curious if anyone had any advice or feedback.

Thanks again!

-M
tofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 3:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
KCan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,625
Default

tofu wrote:

Quote:
I want to be able to use an external flash with the camera in full automatic mode (auto focus, preflash, pulse time, etc) and I would like to be able to do so without the s602's integral flash emitting any light. Does this make sense?

An easy solution to this, or so it seems, would be to purchase the DF200 Digital Flash (which follows the actions of the integral flash which follows the cameras commands in full auto mode) and place a piece of electrical tape over the bulb of the camera's integral flash. This should allow me to get light only from the external flash and still use the full auto mode when I need/want to. Does this make sense?


OK, I get it , but I guess you missed something (I think so )

1) The only ways to get flash control by the camera are using dedicated "ttl" flash , which can be the camera on board flash , or external dedicated flash (which is not your case). The reason is simply that, otherwise, the camera is not able to stop the flash at the right moment.
With an optical slave flash, or a generic external flash ( like the 285), it's possible to trigger it to make it start, but no way to stop it by the camera, so do not expect any control by the camera.

2) In the case of your camera, with external flash , slave flash or generic flash mounted (and connected) on hotshoe, there is only manual mode and Auto mode possible.
The "Auto mode" doesn't mean the flash is controlled by the camera, but the flash control itself to match an exposition corresponding to an aperture value , same value as you set on the camera ideally. The camera won't receive any feedback from the flash, the only one way message flowing is the camera trigger the flash on.

So, if your goal is to control the external flash by the camera in camera automatic operation, it won't work. Nevertheless , slaves are often used successfully (after few adjustment), because you can have a good shot without being academically correct .
It's a bit like tightening a bolt. You don't always have to use a torque wrench , but you can manage to make a good tight .



KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 11:44 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
msantos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 561
Default

Check the suggestion from NickTrop. It has been very useful for me.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23


msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:02 PM.