Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:01 PM   #1

i just purchased a minolta z10, and I want tobe able to use an external flash unit for it. I have a wiess slave trigger and was wondering what the combined effect of both flash units firing would do to the exposure?
sean m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:47 PM   #2

sean m wrote:
Quote:
I have a wiess slave trigger
What is it?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:32 AM   #3

Sorry I meant to say a wein slave trigger. It is a hotshooe that has a electric eye on it that sends the signal to the flash unit. I was thinking about using the built in flash to fire the signal from the wein slave to fire a vivitar 2800 flash unit. The 2800 has to auto settings,full power mode, and the a tilt head.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:52 PM   #4

Hi sean,
oh, it's perfect. Just make sure if it's a normal slave cell, that the camera can have preflash disabled, otherwise, the slave cell must be able to ignore the preflash(es).

About your original question, I think that the contribution of the added flash will be pretty high comparing to the camera's flash.

Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:49 PM   #5

My concern is that the flash that I am going to use has two auto settings and I am hoping the combined flash from the z10 and the secondary unit will properly expose.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:19 AM   #6

Depending on which mode your camera flash is on, at the camera's main flash burst, the external flash is triggered, and sees both contribution, the camera's flash and it's own flash.
The external flash then ajust it's own output to match the auto range selected (corresponding to an aperture value) but sure, can't affect the camera's flash.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If the subject are not to close to the camera, you will have a properly exposed pic. The camera must have the aperture set to the corresponding value of the external flash setting.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:21 AM   #7

Thanks