Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Nov 10, 2002, 9:32 AM   #1

Default Disabling on-camera Flash when using ext speedlight on G3

Hello. I just bought a new Canon G3. I want to use an external speedlight on either the hot shoe or using my stroboframe flash bracket, to get the flash well away from the axis of the lens and to have more range/flash flexibility at my disposal. Is there a way to disable the camera's internal flash while using an external speedlight? My guess is both flashes will fire and the camera software will try to adjust the overall ouput accordingly. I see that there is a way to adjust flash output accessed via the function button using the M mode; my thoughts are that this override will effectively adjust the output of BOTH flash units in such a scenario, defeating the purpose. I'd like to be able to turn off the little on-camera flash entirely when using an external speedlight in E-TTL mode. I don't have the external speedlight yet. My hope is that when one puts a speedlight on the flash shoe that it would effectively disable the internal flash....but somehow, I doubt it. Thanks for your time.
alaskanindayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2002, 9:36 PM   #2

Not familiar with Canon, but I'll bet it's similar to Olympus. Search through the menus for anything to do with flash. There ought to be an option for internal+external or external only. With Olympus, this only applies to a dedicated TTL flash. With a non-dedicated flash, one simply turns off the internal flash, and the non-dedicated external flash fires everytime, if it's turned on. Your Canon may work the same way. Does the manual have a section for "Using external flash"?
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2002, 5:32 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply to my post. I got the flash, figuring I'd make it work somehow...and interestingly enough, once it is mounted on the flash hot shoe, the camera's internal flash is automatically disabled. I checked the menus, as you suggested, but was unable to find anything (my old Nikon Coolpix had such a setting, as I recall.) And there are some quirks when using external flash on this camera which I am still in the process of figuring out. But all in all, it does seem to work...the beauty of digital is that you can play with it until you figure all the settings out! Thanks again for your friendly and prompt reply.
alaskanindayton is offline   Reply With Quote