Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:28 AM   #1

I have two flash units. One is a Yashica CS-240 Auto. I was using it to fire the Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash. I suppose there is some other device available I can use to fire it but hey, this is all I have. I was just putting the Yashica on the Canon 20D and setting the Sigma in the area I wanted it to be aimed at the subject. I turned on the Yashica and turned on the Sigma. I set the Sigma to CO SL . Now, I have the Yashica aimed away from the subject so only the light from the Sigma is used for eliuminating the subject. Are all of you laughing now or just most of you? Yea, well I am too! Okay, when I press the shutter, the Yashica does indeed cause the Sigma to fire. This is good. However the exposure of the subject is blown out big time. So apparently I am not getting the benefit of E TTLII here. I am not understanding what I am going to need to do to meter for the Sigma properly. This is where having the manual would be of some help. I will find the manual but up until I do, can some of you stop laughing at me long enough to tell me if the idea of using the Yashica to fire the Sigma is alright? If so what do I need to do to make the Sigma meter properly for the subject here? Thanks and I am seriously going to find that manual....LOL
pcimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2005, 7:03 AM   #2
NHL

Actually I'm not laughing

You've found another rarely mention solution for the EF500DG Super to sync to studio flash (as a slave) - It's built-in photoeye capability

No E-TTL in this mode however: Instead you use the power ratio buttons on the back of the EF500DG -> as you increase (+/-) this power setting the distance scale on the rear display LCD changes - just match this distance to the subject... Without any adjustment the Sigma just fire at full blast! :G

PS. you might want to mount the Sigma on the 20D first for the ISO setting to be transfered to the flash (and then remove it), otherwise you also have to set the same ISO on the EF500DG manually, or the distance scale won't be accurate :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 7:19 AM   #3
NHL

To have it works as full E-TTL - you'll need to have another EF500DG Super (1 Master, 1 Slave). This is just how the Canon system work, there's no otherway about it:

1. You can buy an ST-E2 that will do what your Yashica does, but in full E-TTL mode or

2. Get another EF500DG Super for the same price as the ST-E2, and have the same capabilty (with its output turn off) and another flash to boot (play with ratio)!
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...78&forum_id=53
Old Jan 20, 2005, 2:39 PM   #4

NHL, thanks for the reply. I wonder if you would mind being a bit more specific as to what settings I need to use on the Sigma flash in order to get to where I can set the distance manually. I will actually be able to use it this way for a time anyway. I will eventually either buy another flash unit like this one or I may be investing in some lights such as some Alien Bees down the road. But for what I am working with at present the Sigma off camera works well if I can just bring the exposure under control. Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:07 AM   #5
NHL

The easiest way to describe this is to:

1. Mount the flash on the camera 1st and press the shutter release 1/2 way -> this will transfer the ISO and aperture setting from the camera to the Sigma

2. Remove the flash from the camera, and place it at the desired location and measure/guess the distance to the object/subject...

3. Hit the <SEL> button on the back of the flash unit until the power ratio 1/1 number start to flash

4. Reduce this output 1/2, 1/4,... 1/128 etc with the <-> button or increase it with the <+> button
-> the distance scale (in ft and m) will vary accordingly
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:14 PM   #6

NHL, that is really cool in deed. I seriously appreciate you being so good as to share that with me. Doggone, I do love these forums. You have been quite helpful NHL. I hope I will be able to return the favor some time soon. :?
Old Jan 21, 2005, 2:26 PM   #7
NHL

It helps me too :idea:

When I tried it last night there's was no distance scale on tbe back LCD panel - NONE! :evil:

For sure I know it was there before... and I thought I've misguided you -> it turns out that when the batteries are weak the distance scale kind of disappeared preventing you from mistake while making 'uncalibrated' adjustment to the flash...

Nothing that a fresh charged set of batteries can't fix

PS the distance scale is not accurate when the flash is in the bounced mode (same with Canon here). The distance traveled is different! :?
Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:11 PM   #8

Excellent info. I am glad you had a chance to learn from it too.