Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 7, 2005, 3:25 PM   #1

Hi there

I am looking for advice on what external flash suits the s7000 best.

I have been told that the metz 36c2 the sunpack 383 super or the vivitar 283 are goodchoices that work with the s7000. Anyone know any different or have a better choice.

Cheers

Dave
dave-the-diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:43 PM   #2

How about a potato masher? :-)
Attached Images

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 9:27 AM   #3

How about an old Vivitar 285 with Vivitar remote sensor cable, PG2 handle and Medium format base (although PG1 and 35mm base works fine). Note that this 285 was tested and has a trigger voltage of only about 7V. (The filter adaptor is a Raynox 52mm )

Ira

Note that a handle bracket like this also protects the hot shoe on the camera from being damaged by a large heavy flash unit (should it be bumped).

Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:42 PM   #4

KCAN & MONZA76 Cheers for the replies, i've picked up a Metz 44 for around £140 (sterling) at Edinbugh cameras. Was told it would work well with the S7000 so will let you all know what it's like once i've used it ?. Just need to pick up the handle bracket and sensor cable next.

What lenses have you tried with your camera's and what would you recommend.

cheers

Dave
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:33 PM   #5

Other than a polarizing filter I haven't used any lens accessories yet. I have a Cokin filter holder and a few filters that I will try out over the next few months. I got the S7000 because of the ability to use filters, the use of AA sized batteries, the manual settings and mainly the generic hot shoe. The Kodak DX7590 was next on my list since it has a flash connection as well, but it had a proprietary battery and no manual focus so it dropped off the list. The Panasonic FZ20 looked good until I found out the price of the battery ( I also had lots of AA NiMH batteries and 256MB CF cards so the Panasonic would have cost me the price of a new SD card as well.)

Sorry to go off topic, the S7000 with bounce flash makes inside pictures far more natural looking, and the added flash range makes big rooms easy. The only problem I have discovered so far is that the Vivitar I am using is so powerful that I cannot use two of the automatic ranges because with ISO 200 they require an f-stop higher than f8 (although this may be perfect for bounce flash settings). See http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53 for examples of bounce flash.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 5:04 PM   #6

I suggest you purchase the Quantaray QA-25 External Flash for the Fuji S7000- I bought mine at Ritz Camera for 27 bucks. Use the following settings. Refer to User Manual if necessary.

1. Set the Mode dial to "A" 2. Click "OK" set External Flash "ON" 3. Set WB to Auto.

4.Set Exposure Compensation all the way left on the 'Minus" side. 5.Use the middle (or Yellow) setting on the front of the Flash.

This produced excellent results for meand did notadverselyeffectthenormal functions of the Camera. Just don't forget to revers the settings when your finished. Good Luck

digipix4u2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:32 PM   #7

I have a sunpak 383 super for my finepix 602. I also use it for my Canon 20D.

Great little flash for $70 at B & H photo video (they recommended the 383).

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:14 PM   #8

Cheers for the replies, as i said i purchased the METZ 44 MZ2 for £160 (sterling). My freind is getting use to the unit as i'm getting married on th 26th of March 2005 and as i'll be busy he's takingb the photos!!. Let you all know how they turn out using the unit, but he states that practice shots have turned out really well and so far the flash is working well with the S7000. I was impressed by the build of the flash (solid).

Cheers

Dave