Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:37 AM   #1

Im a bit unclear on what options i have for setting up multiple external flashes.I have a canon 300D + sigma 500DG Super + assorted lenses. I have looked into getting apocket wizard + some recievers but it seems this option could be rather expensive. Im mostly shooting action sports - skate, mtn biking etc - what flashes would you recommend for this setup?

thanks

j
phongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:01 PM   #2

Hi, No expert but I got the Sigma super working along side Canon 420ex (just useing Canon as a slave, beleive you can you use up to 3 additional flash units in this way, but as I said I am not an expert.
russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 1:04 AM   #3
NHL

It's actually up to 3 groups of flashes - with unlimited number of flash heads in each group!

Group A and B allow you to do ratio, while group C let you dial-in flash exposure compensation - all controlled wirelessly from the Master unit (on the photographer's camera), ie no need to run around to the various slaves...

The 'Pocket Wizard' allow you to go for the distance, but they cost as much as the EF-500DG Super
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:25 AM   #4

what im basicly after is two off camera flashes about 4 metres away from the camera. is it not possible to use the built in flash to fire off2500DG super's? will i be able to use FEC this way?
Old Feb 10, 2005, 5:18 AM   #5

Please take a look at this pos:- http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53
russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 6:39 AM   #6

OK, so i need another sigma 500DG super or an ST-E2 remote. but doesn't the 500DG super have the ability to act as a light slave? when i fire the on camera flash the 500DG picks it up and fires itself?I realize i will prolly not get ETTL using this meathod.

Im just trying to eliminate having to spend another $200 on something i may not need.

Thanks for the help!

Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:19 AM   #7
NHL

phongo wrote:
Quote:
OK, so i need another sigma 500DG super or an ST-E2 remote. but doesn't the 500DG super have the ability to act as a light slave? when i fire the on camera flash the 500DG picks it up and fires itself? I realize i will prolly not get ETTL using this meathod.
Yes - You can use it in that mode as well: ithttp://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...01&forum_id=53

... but be careful the camera's built-in flash will fire twice (or use a dumb small manual flash): this pre-flash will fool the Sigma into triggering prematurely -> press the FEL (*) button 1st on the camera to force the pre-flash - The 2nd flash burst is then the real McCoy!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote