Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 19, 2005, 6:50 PM   #1

I have a brand new vivitar 283 flash and was wondering if it would work with the fz20. Is there a better flash thats more adjustable or will this be adequate.
mliebs8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 7:43 PM   #2

Just check your camera's manual to see if there is any mention of trigger voltage. If there is a maximum given then check to be sure that your flash is within those specs. http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html has info on the 283:

QUOTE: Older units have been reported as high as 600V!
Recent (post-'87) revised 283's ("Made in China") are safer with modern cameras, running around 9-10V. Bob Atkins reports some as low as 5V. Recently units marked "Made in Korea" have also appeared... measured at 8v by Andrew Cassino and Tony Bonanno.

So if your flash is new it should be safe.

As for the usefullness of the Vivitar 283, it was a favourite of pros before dedicated flash units became the norm. Many news and wedding photographers used these flashes because of their great range and very good exposure accuracy.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:29 AM   #3
JKA

I have used an older Vivitar 283 flash unit with my FZ10 (over 100 pictures) and it did not damage the camera. The trigger voltage on the Vivitar 283 was over 285V.

I have contacted Vivitar Canada on use of this flash with digital camera and was told not to use it on any digital camera.

I am currently using a Nikon SB-24. I am very happy with the performance of this flash. I have perfect indoor picture every time. Good luck!

JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the help everyone. I bought a Quantaray 383 today (which is the Sunpak 383). It seems to be a better match than the vivitar 283. Thanks again
Old Feb 22, 2005, 7:19 PM   #5

hi mlie!

can i ask where you bought your quantaray 383 and for how much? thanks!

junji98
junji98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:56 AM   #6

I bought it at wolf camera here in Houston. It was $100
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:30 PM   #7

My Vivitar 283 is made in China and has 6v trigger voltage. My Vivitar 285 measures at 7.5v. I use both without worry on my FZ20. The made in Japan models are known to have the higher voltages; Korean ones may also be safe. Check out this list:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

The FZ20 specs call for trigger voltage under 24v; damage from a higher voltage flash may violate your warranty.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:29 PM   #8

I would reccomend the Vivitar 285HV. It's much more flexible than the 283. I still have my 283 as a back up but the 285hv will get out alot more with the zoom head. The vari-power settings are a must for Macro shots. I purchased mine for $120 at a local camera shop.

JaSoN S.:|
Spencer1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:47 AM   #9

Spencer1076 wrote:
Quote:
I would reccomend the Vivitar 285HV. It's much more flexible than the 283. I still have my 283 as a back up but the 285hv will get out alot more with the zoom head. The vari-power settings are a must for Macro shots. I purchased mine for $120 at a local camera shop.

JaSoN S.:|

Need some help, please. I got my Vivitar 285HV yesterday for my FZ20. I cannot get it to fire on the camera (test fires fine)! I brought it up to the office this morning and put it on a G3 and the flash fires fine. I think that I have tried most every combination on the FZ20 but no luck:sad:. Any ideas on a camera configuration or any help. I am hoping that the camera is not bad.... Thanks in Advance, Gerry

Found problem- camera defaults to "forced off" with a little thin X that I didn't see last night. Pretty dumb to me! Gerry

ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote