Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:06 PM   #1

Hello. I am about to purchase my first dig camera after looking and doing some research for months now. The last question I have, I can not seem to find the answer to. I am going to purchase the Coolpix 8800 and I have the choice of adding an external flash or a flash card and I dont know which does what. I was told to get an external flash so that I could reach pics at a further distance. I dont mind doing the reading myself if someone could give me a link where info would be avail for me to get the answers. Thank you for your time.

Christina in TX
I just went through and found some really "over my head" discussions concerning external flash. I want one that has the ttl function and will mount to the camera. I will be at highschool football games, in the stands, so I need it to be convienent.
christina75457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2005, 12:15 PM   #2

christina75457 wrote:
Quote:
I want one that has the ttl function and will mount to the camera.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...n8800_pg2.html
Quote:
Using the hot shoe, the Coolpix 8800 can be fitted with an external i-TTL speedlight such as the Nikon SB-600 or the SB-800 (SB-50DX shown but usable only in Auto). The built-in Speedlight can be cancelled when using an external flash or used in tandem. The Coolpix 8800 can control the SB-600 or SB-800 motorized zoom head but does not use its more powerful AF-assist lamp.
May be Sigma does have a dedicated flash for this camera.

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 12:32 PM   #3

When you say dedicated flash, does this mean one that will work with auto focus and this one does not? I will go to the Sigma web site and see if I can find info. I have not yet figured out if the shoe is generic or not so that I can use less expensive brand of flash. Thank you very much for the reply. Christina
christina75457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 9:46 PM   #4

christina75457 wrote:
Quote:
When you say dedicated flash, does this mean one that will work with auto focus and this one does not?
Usually, dedicated flash means first "TTL" operation, meaning roughly automatic exposure mode of the camera , and flash controlled by the camera automatically.

One step further, camera can control zoom head of the flash (if it offers this feature) , and can also control the focus assistance light beam (if there is one). Even "so called dedicated" flash from the same manufacturer of the camera doesn't guaranty these feature to be supported, it really depends what camera.

from Steve's review:
Quote:
The Coolpix 8800 can control the SB-600 or SB-800 motorized zoom head but does not use its more powerful AF-assist lamp.
you see that the AF assist beam on the flash will be useless with your camera

About Sigma, I don't have any Sigma products, but from this forum, I see that it could be an interesting (and economic of course) alternative to brand name product (matching the camera brand) if they offers one model for your camera.

Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:08 AM   #5

christina75457 wrote:
Quote:
I will be at highschool football games, in the stands, so I need it to be convienent.
I have2 question concerning flashes at sporting events that maybe someone with more experience can answer.

First, you will need one heck of a flash to reach from the stands at a football game. Don't most flashes work within a limited range of feet?

Second, this is very distracting to the players. When ever I attand sporting events, there is always a note about not using the flash.

Spending some time learning about your camera's white balance andshooting in low light would be more benificial for the players.
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:10 PM   #6

Rookie wrote:
Quote:
First, you will need one heck of a flash to reach from the stands at a football game. Don't most flashes work within a limited range of feet?
You can add optical telephoto attachment to the flash head, based on Fresnel lenses:

For Metz for example:

http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron...er.144-85.html

For many other model : "Flash X-Tender"

http://www.kirkphoto.com/brackets.html

Some info:

http://www.brantacan.co.uk/flash_boosters.htm

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...r_beamer.shtml