Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Mar 1, 2005, 7:58 PM   #1

Ok I need some externalflash recommendations for my Canon 20D.
I would be shooting mainly portraits, both indoor and outdoor....I suppose wedding photos is what I'm most concerned about not turning out due to poor lighting.
I've looked at some other brands other than canon's own external flashes, they're way to pricey.

So what I found was Sigma EF-500 ST-DG and Sigma EF-500 DG Super E-TTL II
or
Sunpak PZ040C Ultra-Compact Digital TTL Dedicated Flash DBL and
Sunpak PZ040CS Ultra-Compact Digital TTL Dedicated Flash DBL
Between these last two the only difference I can find right off the bat is the color?

Are any of these any good or even compatiable with the 20D, any misfires or alike with them or do they hold up pretty good?
Any other recommendation other than the canon line?

Thanks!
TSEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:40 AM   #2

Hi there,

I use the Canon 20D and love it, but there is one recommendation when using flash. If the photos seem a little underexposed. turn up the FEC by 2 stops, I do this and the pics are perfect. I would seriously suggest that you look at the Sigma but get the DG SUPER, I use it and it compliments the camera really well.

Have a look here http://www.all-things-photography.co...otography.html

All the photos were taken with the DG super. If you put your camera to program mode, flash to ETTL and up the FEC (Flash Exposure Compensation) by 2 stops, you will be more than pleased with the results!

All the best,

Freefly
www.all-things-photography.com
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:18 AM   #3

Thanks Freefly!

I went to another forum who recommended the same thing if I couldn't afford the Canon series (which I think is rather pricey for someone just starting out).
I've only tested it once and the photos were pretty nice, need to keep playing with the flashI suppose.

Where do I adjust the FEC? On the flash or on my 20D?
Thanks again!

Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:26 AM   #4

You adjust the FEC on the camera. If you look at the top lcd panel there are 4 buttons above it. From left to right...

Light - AF/WB - Drive/ISO - and the next is the FEC button.

Press the shutter to activate the camera and then hit this button. Use the rear dial to adjust it either way +1 and 2/3rds is good for me.

Hope this helps,

Nick

http://www.all-things-photography.com
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:54 AM   #5

Ok I found the buttons and it make sense, but how do I know when the changes have taken place? I've turned the dial but there's no indicator on how much I've done +1 or +5 or even -2 or -7 for that matter, how do I know how far I've gone?

THanks!

Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:10 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I've just got the new Sigma 500 DG Super. It has a little sticker on the box saying it supports ETTL2.

For what it's worth I don't need to adjust my FEC at all, the photos are perfectly exposed without any adjustment.

I guess you'll need to experiment.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:17 PM   #7

Thanks!

Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:10 PM   #8

TSEE wrote:
Quote:
Ok I found the buttons and it make sense, but how do I know when the changes have taken place? I've turned the dial but there's no indicator on how much I've done +1 or +5 or even -2 or -7 for that matter, how do I know how far I've gone?

THanks!
Don't know for sure, but you probably have to have the on/off switch set to that weird line setting right above the on setting to see where your adjustments are. Otherwise, it probably isn't happening.

Btw, I just bought a Speedlite 580EX for my 20D. I'm just learning to use an external flash. It seems kinda complicated, but I'll figure it out. I'm practing bouncing right now.
Mr. Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:54 PM   #9

The "weird line" setting above the "on" setting activates the big rear command dial.

It is the only "on" setting I use, I can't see why you would want to use the middle on setting that leaves one of the main control dials inactive.

Peter.

Mr. Peabody wrote:
Quote:
Don't know for sure, but you probably have to have the on/off switch set to that weird line setting right above the on setting to see where your adjustments are. Otherwise, it probably isn't happening.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:10 PM   #10

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
The "weird line" setting above the "on" setting activates the big rear command dial.

It is the only "on" setting I use, I can't see why you would want to use the middle on setting that leaves one of the main control dials inactive.

Peter.

Mr. Peabody wrote:
Quote:
It also activates the creative setting does it not?

Why? You're an expert, I'm not. I'm just in the learing phase of all this stuff. I'm attempting to get beyond the basic modes of the 20D.

Mr. Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote