Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Mar 13, 2005, 5:37 PM   #1

Is it possible to connect a PocketWizzard to a minolta 5600 hs flash unit. If so, what attachments are needed? :O
Bobzart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2005, 5:46 PM   #2

If the flash has a pc sync port, which I think the 5600 has, then yes.
All you need is a mini-phone to pc-sync. What PW's are you useing? My MultiMax's came with the cord.

Brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 5:55 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I haven't purchased the PocketWizzard, yet. Probably will get the Plus, but not sure. Just getting info at this time to make a good decision. How does the Multimax compare to the Plus? Also if this is not possible, can anyone recommend a good match-up of lighting and the pocketwizard, especially for wedding photography. Thank you. Bob
Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:04 AM   #4

Bobzart wrote:
Quote:
can anyone recommend a good match-up of lighting and the pocketwizard, especially for wedding photography
I'm not sure I understand that statement. You can pretty much use a pocket wizard to trigger most all lighting equipment that have either a pc connection or at least a hot-shoe (using a pc to hot-shoe adapter). I have just purchased a Pocket Wizard Plus kit and their wireless module for my Sekonic light meter. I think that's a good advantage: not having to ask an assistant to pop the lights for me, nor having to use a long cord that wedding guests or bridal party members can trip on. I plan on using the Pocket Wizard Plus to trigger a Metz 70MZ-5 with an umbrella.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 7:03 AM   #5
NHL

I don't get it either - the Minolta 5600HS has the wireless TTL feature built-in to the flash already. Why do you need a pocket wizard (and lost the TTL feature)? :?

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/flash.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 12:06 PM   #6

NHL, The pocketWizards have a range of 1600 feet, and are the most reliable slaves on the market.

I'm not sure how the Plus and the MultiMaxs compare, as I dont own both.

Brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 7:48 PM   #7

That's right. The 5600 does have wireless TTL capability, however the range is sometimes too short for what I want to do with it. Also I want to hide the flash sometimes as well and you can't do that either. Don't get me wrong, the 5600 HSD flash is fantastic for what it does. I would just like to be a little more creative at times.
The question of the flash is a little vague, I guess I was looking for an alternative to carrying around a lot of extra luggage.
Thank you for your replies.
This is one of the best web sites on the net for photography info.
bob