Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 2, 2005, 1:24 PM   #1

Put new batteries in my Vivitar 3500 so I could check the shoe voltage before trying it on my FZ-20, and all I get is the whine like it is charging. And now10 minutes later, it still is not ready to fire. I tried two sets of AA's, and still no go. Time to get a new flash??

thanks,

Ed
VTRotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2005, 11:37 AM   #2

If it doesn't work, I would think it's dead.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 4:16 PM   #3

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
If it doesn't work, I would think it's dead.

That's what I'm getting from other sources too. Time for a new flash, bummer
Old Apr 4, 2005, 2:20 AM   #4

One slight chance. You didn't mention how long the flash had been sitting, and if you'd tried the flash with manual flash, rather than on the camera.

If it has been sitting a long time, you need to re-form the condenser with 5-6 manual flashes.
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 5:34 PM   #5

The flash has been sittingfor2 to3 years. I used it on my AE-1 for years and then bought a digital that had a flash, so I haven't used it since. I remeber when it died though, I thought the batteries were weak and finnished my day without it.

Old Apr 13, 2005, 3:09 AM   #6

I had a similar experience with some older kit. You may want to check for this.

The flash just wouldn't get going so I had a look at the battery terminals, and there was some oxidisation on them - not a lot.

I took some very light sandpaper (the fine side of a ladies nail thingy would also do) and just roughed up the terminals a little bit. Popped the batteries in and it came to life!

The terminals don't have to be corroded to make a bad contact, sometimes just a little dull looking.

Worth a try ...
Bibico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:16 PM   #7

VTRotts wrote:
Quote:
... and all I get is the whine like it is charging. And now10 minutes later, it still is not ready to fire. I tried two sets of AA's, and still no go.
this means the battery is ok and the high voltage converter is working . Probable problems are: the capacitor is too dry, or internaly disconnected, or the high voltage section faulty (no DC high voltage ). If you are not in electronics repair, it's probably not worthto make it repaired by a shop.

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 6:14 AM   #8

Hi

I cannot find any reference too that model, But if it has a mainsadaptor with it leave it on for a couple of hours too see if the storage capacitor reforms. the models around that 3000 number have low trigger voltages, so don`t throw it in the trash can. As the osc is running it shows that the batteries are operating the osc

geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 10:25 AM   #9

geriatric wrote:
Quote:
Hi

I cannot find any reference too that model, But if it has a mainsadaptor with it leave it on for a couple of hours too see if the storage capacitor reforms. the models around that 3000 number have low trigger voltages, so don`t throw it in the trash can. As the osc is running it shows that the batteries are operating the osc

I left it on for a good five hours and still could hear the capacitor chargibg so I tossed it. Thanks for the reply though. Looks like I'll be getting a Sunpak 383.

Ed