Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 8, 2005, 3:41 AM   #1

Does anyone know if there is a way to stop the SB600 pre-flashing so that I can use it to trigger another remote flash unit?

The camera is a Nikon 8800 and the remote flash triggers with the first flash it sees; that is causing the camera to under expose.

I tried the camera on full manual mode but that didn't resolve it.

Any workarounds would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Bibico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2005, 8:50 AM   #2
sas

I had the same problem

I used the mode button on the SB600 to change the flash mode to manual that seemed to stop the pre flash but I then had to play about with the man flash settings. As I dont have a flash meter I gave up on trying to ballance the camera speed and exposure setting with the manual flash settings
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:51 AM   #3

turn off your red eye reduction option on the camera.

berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 3:22 AM   #4

Thank you for that guys!

I posted the same question on the Nikon forum and someone there gave the same advice. It feels a little like two steps forward and one step back -I love the way the 600 copes with ttl and zoom, then we have to go back to manual, guessing and experimenting to get remote fill flash from a non-Nikon speedlight.

The SB600 & 800 seem to use radio signals to fire remotes, which is bound to be accurate - but two of these speedlights cost about as much as a D70!!!

My remote flash is a Centon FG105D (dedicated Nikon) and is slightly more powerful than the SB600. It also has a small forward facing flash as well as the large swivel and zoom head. I will stick with that in the meantime now that there is a way to get a manual sync between them. It may take a little longer to set up, but it is a hobby after all! :lol:

Thanks again, and happy snappin'

Bibico
Bibico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 6:33 AM   #5

The only way is too stop the internal flash and use an external small flash synced too the camera. Stick some red geletineon the flash too subdue the flash.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 7:05 AM   #6

geriatric wrote:
Quote:
The only way is too stop the internal flash and use an external small flash synced too the camera. Stick some red geletineon the flash too subdue the flash.
Attached Images

Old May 29, 2005, 7:25 AM   #7

This is a shot using a small Sunpak. It only uses 2 aa batteries but the trigger voltage is 194 volts . So I attached it too one of my adaptors. It can be used as shown ,the underneath block is tapped out 1/4 whit to be screwed to a flash bracket. Another I made has a hotshoe male underneath too slide into the camera hotshoe
Old May 29, 2005, 7:27 AM   #8

geriatric wrote:
Quote:
This is a shot using a small Sunpak. It only uses 2 aa batteries but the trigger voltage is 194 volts . So I attached it too one of my adaptors. It can be used as shown ,the underneath block is tapped out 1/4 whit to be screwed to a flash bracket. Another I made has a hotshoe male underneath too slide into the camera hotshoe
Attached Images

Old May 29, 2005, 7:31 AM   #9

Methinks I will have too keep the attachments down too about 50kb. They are too BL^&*%$ big
Old May 30, 2005, 2:37 AM   #10

I am trying too get the shots down too reasonable size. This is just too show what can be achieved by DIY instead of spending megabucks. There are 2 freeze by sound gizmos. 2 trigger volts regulators and a studio flash slave to remotely fire the studio flash.
Attached Images