Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:34 AM   #1

Does anyone know if the Canon Speedlite 580EX can be used as a slave to the Canon EOS 20D built-in flash? I own a Sigma EF 500 Super DG and I can use that as a slave to the camera's built-in flash. I would like to use both these flashes as slaves.

Thanks.
newbieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2005, 6:32 AM   #2

Turn your 580 ex 's front too the kameras flash and of couase the flashhead on the supject. easy as that :idea:
silent_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 6:34 AM   #3

Or better, look in your manual, there are pictures of it all.
silent_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 5:33 AM   #4
NHL

newbieX wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know if the Canon Speedlite 580EX can be used as a slave to the Canon EOS 20D built-in flash? I own a Sigma EF 500 Super DG and I can use that as a slave to the camera's built-in flash. I would like to use both these flashes as slaves.
There's no way for any external flashes to sync up to the built-in flash on the Canon cameras (this feature is supported only on Nikon and Minolta) - you need at least an ST-E2 for this or another external flash mounted on the camera.

The external mounted flash on the camera can have its output turned off so it does not contribute to the lighting, but the pre-flash still go off to transmit wireless signal to the slave(s). The reason the EF-500 DG Super works off the 20D built-in flash is via its built in photoeye which is not E-TTL and only on manual...

-> you can only slave the 580EX to the EF-500 DG Super (or vice versa), but not to the camera built-in flash! :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote