Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 17, 2005, 3:21 AM   #1

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right forum or should be in the KM forum.

I'm after an external flash fo my KM Z3. I've seen posts about the Vivitar DF200, the Digi-Share, Phoenix D91-D92-D79, the Sigma EF-500 (though not compatable if you read the Sigma website) and was also wondering about the Sony FH110 & 1000's.

There seems to be lots of flashes talked about in these forums but I would like to know if any are actually "officially-to-the-flash-manufaturer" compatable with the Z3's hot-shoe. Frying the camera's electronics on first flash wouldn't be popular. The Z3 has the usual pre-flash issue.

And of course the KM flashes are so over-priced, they're not even getting a look-in.

Thanks

Simon
YorkshireTaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:42 AM   #2

YorkshireTaff wrote:
Quote:
...I'm after an external flash fo my KM Z3.
...Vivitar DF200, the Digi-Share, Phoenix D91-D92-D79, the Sigma EF-500...
Some of the flashes you listed are just slave flashes, but made for digital camera (ie they take into account the preflashes), thus no ttl control, just manual mode and auto mode (auto-aperture) in some cases.

YorkshireTaff wrote:

Quote:
Frying the camera's electronics on first flash wouldn't be popular. The Z3 has the usual pre-flash issue.

A slave flash can't fry your camera of course.

YorkshireTaff wrote:
Quote:
... I would like to know if any are actually "officially-to-the-flash-manufaturer" compatable with the Z3's hot-shoe.
FYI

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=20

seems that Sigma flashes does not have full compatibility (dedicated mode) :?

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 2:35 AM   #3

Guess it's the Vivitar slave or wait for a third party to catch up.

Thanks for the info.

Simon
YorkshireTaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 7:33 PM   #4

Looks like there's not really any flashes completely compatible with the dimage z3 from what I've seen. Would you suggest using a slave flash such as D92-BZS connected directly to the camera hot shoe. I have a dimage z5 which is praticly the same as the the z3.

Is there better alternative?
good.friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:12 PM   #5

good.friend wrote:

Quote:
Is there better alternative?
A Minolta flash ... but it may be expensive ? :?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/z5_pg2.html

Quote:
Using the hot shoe connector you can attach the high power Minolta Maxxum Program Flash 5600 HS (shown), Program Flash 3600 HS or the compact 2500D flash which offer versatile functions such as auto power zoom and test flash. (Note that the Z5 does not make use of the flash's focus-assist beam feature.) The Macro Twin Flash 2400 provides flexible lighting for nature macro photography while the Macro Ring Flash 1200 offers shadowless lighting, ideal for medical and scientific use.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:17 PM   #6

good.friend wrote:
Quote:
Would you suggest using a slave flash such as D92-BZS connected directly to the camera hot shoe. I have a dimage z5 which is praticly the same as the the z3.

http://www.pcaol.com/product.cfm?Cat...;ProductID=598

You can not because of the proprietary Minolta hotshoe, although the specs says it can be fired directely by the camera; they mean a camera with a standard ISO hotshoe
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:26 AM   #7

the Konica-Minolta website states in their FAQ file for both Z3 and Z5 that the 1200 ring flash is not compatible (great, I find that after buying both).

However - and here's my question - B&H Photo will sell me a step-up ring to go from the lense diam (43 mm, I think) to the size required by the KM 1200 ringflash hardware.

has anyone done this before? will it work?
gpkraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:00 PM   #8

It depends what "compatible" means in each statement. Usually,with flashes,it means to be able to operate in ttl mode with the camera.