Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:34 AM   #1

I have a Olympus C5050 and I want a small external flash to use with my wide angle lens. I want something small that has a bounce, diffuser and I won't have to sell my dog to buy it. I have looked at the FL-20 and its a little tall and won't bounce. The price is right but I was wondering if there was something better I should look at or avoid. I'm mostly shooting indoors with people as my subjects. I'm not a professional so I don't need some woopass 2000 flash but I am a very enthusiastic amateur and don't want the K-Mart version.
Anybody has some suggestions?

Thanks,

Richard
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:27 PM   #2

Settle for the "woopass 2000 flash" version. If you want a good flash as an advanced amateur, the flash has to be rather tall to avoid redeye. A certain amount of size goes with the territory.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 2:28 PM   #3

KingRichard wrote:
Quote:
I want something small that has a bounce,
Quote:
I have looked at the FL-20 and its a little tall and won't bounce. The price is right
Quote:
I'm mostly shooting indoors with people as my subjects.
Quote:
I'm not a professional so I don't need some woopass 2000 flash
Quote:
don't want the K-Mart version.
Anybody has some suggestions?

I suppose you eliminate the FL-40;

If I were youI would adopt the FL-20 with a simple home made metalic reflector to bounce the light where you like.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 12:20 PM   #4

Have you looked at Metz flashes? They aren't cheapos, but are very high quality. They have many offerings from beginers to pros. Many of their flashes utilize custom SCA modules for each brand of camera. The prices they list on the following link are not what you'd find in a store such as B&H (ie. list price = $509, store price = $389):

http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/c...=123&manufid=3

There are other flash manufacturers offering custom modules for each camera manufacturer, Metz was the first to market with this idea (AFAIK), and has a reputation for quality too I've had a 54MZ-3 for my Olympus E-10 back in the days, used the same unit with my Nikons, then exchanged it for a 70MZ-5 which I currently use with my Nikons. Excellent flashes.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 7:47 AM   #5

someone mentioned the vivitar DF120 digital slave. Check it out on B&H...maybe what you need...and it's cheap!
strategicshots is offline   Reply With Quote