Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 18, 2005, 10:18 AM   #1

With all the good informationon the Rebel XT, I'm considering changing direction and moving to the Canon camp for my first DSLR. I presently use an Oly C5050 and aside from the camera investment my biggest investment is my FL50 flash at approx $400.00. Wondering if this flash will work as a TTL with the XT. Thanks for any help offered.
aliasd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2005, 10:24 AM   #2

aliasd2 wrote:
Quote:
FL50 flash
... Wondering if this flash will work as a TTL with the XT. Thanks for any help offered.
I don't think so
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 10:43 AM   #3

Thanks KCan.... I had a feeling as such and will consult the manual to confirm. Right now I'm at work (obviously not working) and just thought I'd throw the question out there. Now it's a matter of do I or don't Ichange camps. I like the sharpness I get with my Olympus and would probably get sharp picswith the Oly E300 too. Just doesn't seem to be nearly as strong inareas of quickness and low light conditions as the XT does. Thanks again.
Old May 19, 2005, 1:16 PM   #4
NHL

aliasd2 wrote:
Quote:
... I like the sharpness I get with my Olympus and would probably get sharp pics with the Oly E300 too. Just doesn't seem to be nearly as strong in areas of quickness and low light conditions as the XT does.
You might want to check Costco...
-> Really good deal on the E300 with two lens kits for under $1k
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 2:41 PM   #5

Thanks NHL. I'll check them out.Wondering if you havean E300. If so, happy with it? If you don't have one, no need to reply. Thanks again for the info.
Old May 19, 2005, 7:17 PM   #6

There are a few of us e-300 happy campers around :?

I've had mine about a month and like it a lot. The review hype you hear about high ISOs is not as bad as it might sound. Oly doesn't apply nearly as much in-camera NR as most other manufacturers, so it's left up to you to use it when desired, as in after-market NR products like Neatimage and Noise Ninja. I've gotten some very good results at ISO1600, and I've seen amazing results from the E1 at ISO3200. If you need to shoot lots of fast-moving sports, there are faster cameras around, but not by much if you're trying to stay in the same price category; certainly don't count it out in terms of image quality. I should point out that the firmware upgrades have increased the speed of CF reading with high-speed cards, so that recycle time is reduced substantially. The kit lenses are said to be better than those with the XT as well, if that's meaningful (the 40-150 is particularly good based on the shots I've seen with it).

Here's a shot I took in the evening hours at ISO1600 with the notoriously soft Sigma 55-200 lens; I used Neatimage on it.

If you want to check out more E-system images and discussion, see http://www.myfourthirds.com

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 11:38 PM   #7

Looks great Norm. Looks like it is able to focus well. Any chance you could post the same shot without the Neat Image applied? THanks for the reply!
Old May 20, 2005, 3:24 AM   #8

aliasd2 wrote:
Quote:
Looks great Norm. Looks like it is able to focus well.
Actually I switched to manual focus for this shot, since the Sigma couldn't see through all the limbs and leaves effectively enough.

Here are 100% crops from the original, before and after neatimage. This does not compare to the photo I uploaded earlier, and may not be a fair example of potential results , by the way, due to the Sigma's soft focus and additional blur from handholding; also, the 100% crop I did here was so small that Neatimage couldn't find an area of 60 pixels square devoid of detail; what this effectively means is that it probably removed some additional detail along with the noise, making it even softer than it should be. But it shows what Neatimage basically does. Also, in the photo I uploaded earlier, I had cloned out a leaf in front of the bird.

Before:

After:

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 7:27 AM   #9

Thanks again Norm.Interesting before and after shots. I like the shot even with the noise . Knowing that the noise will sometimes be unacceptable, it's good to know that programs such as NeatImage can clean them up. I'm actually giving consideration to the E300 again. I've seen some great photos in MFT website and I haveto keep in mind I"m not a professional and will not normally need the ability to go to high ISO. Additionally, the FL50 is a great flash and will often compensate when needed. Thanks again for your input. Don