Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:03 AM   #1

I have a Quantary QAF 6600 Zoom Bounce. It worked on my film camera, but i would like to know if can work on my Canon Rebel Digital 6.3 MP. If it could can it cause any damage.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:40 AM   #2

This flash is reported to have a 3 volt trigger voltage, so that department is safe. I do not know this flash whether it has more than 1 pin on the hotshoe thats as far as I can go.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:11 PM   #3

It does work. I have that very same flash, and it does not harm the 300D.

It is a TTL unit, but the EXIF data on the images will identify the flash as E-TTL (falsely).

The QAF 6600 did produce good shots every now and then. But, all that was due to unfamiliarity with Flash techniques. Therefore,most of my shots were underexposed, but I don't think it was the 300D's fault. I think recycle time was the factor. The other possibility was that the ISO and Aperture setting switches on my flash were "Manual". I mean, I did not know what to do with them other than set them to correspond with what the 300D's meter read. (e.g. Rebel says ISO 800, set flash to ISO 800 setting. Rebel says Av F8.0, set flash likewise).

For my levele of photography, I think that had I stayed with the QAF 6600, I would have improved my pics instead of fixing my problems with a 420EX.I recommend that you use matched NiMH with greater than 1800 mAh ratings. It drinks up the juice rather quickly.

Bottom line? It works. Use it proudly. And.... don't bother getting the 420EX. It's not a big improvement necessarily.

San Antonio Flyer
SA Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:57 PM   #4

SA what about the 350 D, Rebel XT?
Old Jul 23, 2005, 6:06 PM   #5

Hold your horses. I am not an expert. I found this info through a few websites much as you are about to.

Note - the flash has the 5 pin format on the hot shoe. It has1 slideswitch guide for ISO and 1 for setting the Zoom length so as to determine which F-stop to set the lens on.Such as in manual cameras. I don't think thateither switchare connected to any kind of circuit, but merely there to aid in visual setting of the film camera's aperture. I believe that the camera just sends a signal to the flash to fire it. With the unDutchables firmware, one can control the FEC (flash exposure strength) on the 300D/Digital Rebel.

Check out Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages website which has (dated) useful information ...

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

This next site has a little moreCanon information that will require a lot of reading on ... http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Knowing the trigger voltage is important as explained in photonotes, but the Instruction Sheet for the QAF6600 does not list this info in the specs section.

My un-expert opinion is that the QAF6600 would work on the 350D/XT. But, then, why use old, untestedtechnology on this better camera? If it is for a little while until you get something better, then, it might do.

One cannotexpect stupendous resultsout of a$60 flash on a digital SLR. Just keep in mind that the text on the website states that damage is "cumulative" but it is "EOS Safe".

Lastly, save up your bucks for a better flash in the near future. Such as the Sigma EF-500 DG Super, or a Metz 54 series, or a Canon 550EX/580EX. Check out http://www.fredmiranda.com for users selling such flashes for much less than brand new.

I hope that this helps you and others,

SA Flyer

SA Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 6:37 PM   #6

Flyer great info. Thanks for the help. i will look into the web site for the external flashes.