Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 2, 2003, 1:50 PM   #1

Default FL-40 flash with Olympus C5050z

I was thinking about buying the FL-40 flash for my olympus c-5050z. What do you guys think? I need a bounce flash and I was hoping the FL-40 would be a good buy.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2003, 12:32 AM   #2

I have the FL40 and the Olympus bracket for my C4040. It is a real pleasure to use--powerful and flexible. I think it is a bit large for the C5050's hotshoe, though, as it would be top-heavy. Actually, since Olympus now has the FLCB05 TTL hotshoe-to-hotshoe cord for the E10/E20, you can use any bracket, such as a Stroboframe. The FL40 has NO jack of any kind.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 8:59 PM   #3

THe FL40 flash is very expensive. Proflash, find on the web, has an equivilent unit with the exception that it won't set for wide and telephoto. It will autofocus and TTL.

I have the FL40, had it since the 3000. Yes it's good, expensive, and may require expensive additons to make it work with the camera. If you don't mount it on the hot shoe you will need the OLY bracket and a cable from the bracket to the hotshoe. Check with OLY for model numbers or with a dealer. Again, a full setup is expensive.
Ron Kaplansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 10:26 PM   #4

Actually, Olympus has a hotshoe type TTL cord for using the FL40 and E10/E20 with a bracket such as the Stroboframe.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2003, 9:33 PM   #5

[quote="Ron Kaplansky"]THe FL40 flash is very expensive. Proflash, find on the web, has an equivilent unit with the exception that it won't set for wide and telephoto. It will autofocus and TTL.

Sorry to ask...but can you point me in the general direction of Proflash? I've heard of Promaster, but I can't seem to find a website for Proflash.
ruzicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 8:26 PM   #6
lg

I believe Ron Kaplansky probably did mean Promaster; their 5750DX TTL flash will cost you about $210 with the Olympus module. If you haven't already, check out the earlier post FL-40 alternative in this same forum. Be sure to check out Mike Meissner's comparison of external flashes at the end of the post-- it's for a C-2100, but there's lots of info you might find helpful there.

You know, I had my heart set on the Promaster 5750DX, but I believe I have found on eBay a used FL-40 and the two terribly expensive accessories (FL-BK01 and FL-CB01) for less than $310 total. The additional price is worth it for me because of the motorized zoom on the flash head, which automatically focuses the flash depending on your focal length. To each his own!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2003, 4:24 PM   #7

Olympus now have a small version of the FL-40, the new FL-20 is light, more comapct, cost about $140.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2003, 8:57 AM   #8

If you don't want to spend the big bucks, try a Sunpak DS20. It tilts up and is under $30.00. See it on the Rollbar site http://therollbar.com flashes page. I have been using one on a KISS bracket for a couple of weeks and like it a lot. PatiO.
Bob Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 9:50 AM   #9

I believe the Sunpak DS20 only work in the auto mode only, not TTL.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 2:38 PM   #10

The DS-20 works in either auto mode (triggered by the camera's hot shoe and metering itself), or as an auto slave (the same but triggered by the camera's builtin flash). Set the camera to manual in either case. HTH PatiO.
Bob Benson is offline   Reply With Quote