Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jun 26, 2005, 9:20 AM   #1

I have had two weeks to get used to my Sigma 150mm micro and have been loving every minuite of it. But I now realize I am going to need a ring light. So if anyone has an opinion on the Sigma EM- 140 DG ring light I would like to hear it. I do not want to spend 500 dollars on a ring light so that puts Canon out. So it looks like it will be the Sigma or a flash bracket for my 580 ex Canon. I would really like to have a ring flash instead. So reviews and opinions on the Sigma ring flash is what I would like to have or opinions on another ringflash I may have overlooked.

Thanks guys.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2005, 5:46 AM   #2
NHL

IMO the EM-140 DG is more flexible than a flash bracket (and lighter too) - It's also the only ring flash that is 100% compatible with the EX series (or Sigma Ef-500 DG) so you can always use them together via the wireless option. i.e. no need for an off-camera sync cord since it can control other heads without wires (as opposed to EX flash(es) on a bracket)

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 1:09 PM   #3

Sorry it took so long to get back to ya. Computer problems!!!! I do really want a ring flash but I was trying to choose between the Canon and the Sigma. The sigma is much cheaper but I do not want to sacrifice quality for price. If the Sigma is a really good ring flash then thats what I want. But if the Canon is MUCH better then I will have to go that. And the connection with the ring flash and a off shoe flash is not important to me. At least not yet. I already have the Canon 580 and an old 420 so I am not going to buy another flash. Only a ring flash.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 2:51 PM   #4
NHL

The only advantage with the Canon is if you use this device with their own lenses: It'll mount directly to the 50/100 through a bayonet, but since you already have the Sigma 150 then it really doesn't matter -> you'll have to use a filter ring adapter anyway.

Flash is flash, and from the various feedback the EF500DG Super already outperforms the 420EX for the same price with all the features of the 550EX instead
Old Jun 29, 2005, 3:57 PM   #5

with the filter ring adapter attached, will that obstruct my view through the lense? I mean if the ring flash is only designed for a specific filter size, if you have a larger filter size and use an adapter will the ring flash obstruct some of the view and create the illusion of vingetting?
Old Jun 29, 2005, 9:44 PM   #6
NHL

arowana wrote:
Quote:
with the filter ring adapter attached, will that obstruct my view through the lense?
No - the adapter can accomodate filter size up to 77mm:
http://www.shutterbug.com/test_reports/0405sigma/